Power Ranger Online Message Board

Go Back   Power Ranger Online Message Board > Power Rangers Online > Power Rangers General Discussion

Share This Forum!  

Post New ThreadReply

Old 05/25/15, 10:24 PM   #1
Langley
Putty Patroller

Default My Ideas on the Morphing Grid

Before I go any further, I would just like to point out that this entire thread is fanwankery and flavor, this means that when someone asks a question, please do not answer with "Thats how the producers wanted it" or something of the like, because that is not the spirit of this thread.

So here is pretty much my idea of how the morphing grid works in correlation with each series. First an overview of how I see the morphing grid:

The Morphing Grid is a universal energy field that surrounds every planet with life inhabiting it. It is an energy source of nearly limitless potential, similar to Spiral Energy in Gurren Lagaan, but being an outer fource instead of an inner one. Humans are normally not able to tap into this endless energy source. However, this changed with the creation of morphing technology. I believe that the basic idea behind the suits is that the morpher used imprints its own design on the morphing grid when the suit appears, this gives each individual Power Ranger his own costume, but still has access to the same energy.

MMPR Season 1-3
The reason I say Power Coin instead of Power Morpher, is that I've never really believed that the Power Morpher is needed to morph. The Power Coin acts as the link the morphing grid, and it has been shown on several occasions (Predominantly when Tommy first became a Power Ranger) that you only need the Power Coin to morph. I believe that the Power Morpher is a regulator for the morphing energy, being able to funnel the power and prevent too much from entering the body at once. This, I believe, is why Tommy was so damn powerful when he first became a ranger, but seemed to dwindle later. Because he didn't have a morpher, Tommy was able to access the full power of the morphing grid, a thing that might have eventually killed him. The morpher appearing on his belt can be explained by the fact that the coin created a duplicate, non-working one simply for aesthetic, similar to the way that even though he has one as the White Ranger, it never shows on his belt.
Unlike some morphers, the Power Coin appears to actually be POWERED by the morphing grid itself. While this represents several advantages, it also has several disadvantages. Because it derives power directly from the grid, if the rangers are cut off from the grid, they are left without any sort of backup power source to keep the morph going, or the coin may try to absorb energy from an alternate source, such as when Adam's began to drain his life force. Also, because the coins are templated and genetically locked to one person, this may cause problems if new members need to be activated. In the event that the powers need to be transferred, it is an almost impossible feat.
It is also possible that the Rangers' wrist communicators were also tied to the morphing grid, with two abilities being used: the ability to communicate over great distances (which I suppose would be by using the morphing grid as a relay or radio system) and the ability to teleport. I believe that the teleportation is done by the rangers actually STEPPING INTO the morphing grid, then stepping back out in the desired area.

Zeo
Zeo is a very similar season to me as far as the morphing grid and the morphers go, with the Zeo crystals pretty much just replacing the Power Coins. Not much else to say on it.

Turbo
Once again. Not a whole lot else to say about these powers, other than this is the first time I believe that the actual "Morpher" initiates the morph, though I think it's the keys themselves that hold the template for the uniform. I think this is the first set of costumes that holds its own internal power supply, so that it doesn't immediately stop working if the connection to the morphing grid fails.

In Space
In space is a little bit different in that the characters may not necessarily gain their powers directly from Earth's Morphing Grid. This is the first series that established the UNIVERSAL Morphing Grid. Here's about how I think it works: The Morphing Grid energy is collected from the various planets and things and is stored in case of emergencies when the morphers are not close enough to a planet to use that planet's Morphing Grid. While the rangers are on a hospitable planet, that planet's Morphing Grid energy is used by the astro morphers, but when they race off into space the backup emergency batteries kick in.

Lost Galaxy
Lost Galaxy is a very rare treat in that we get to talk about the concept of Death and the Morphing Grid. Here's my take on it: When Kendrix sacrificed herself to save Cassie and Terra Venture, we see her for a brief moment as a specter before she completely disappears, leaving behind only the Quasar Saber. This "Death" reminds me of another hero who died in a similar fashion. Barry Allen, though his death was a little more graphic, died similarly to Kendrix, with his body merging with the Speed Force. This begins a whole new set of parallels I've been able to find between the Speed Force and the Morphing Grid, but I won't be getting into those in this thread. My theory is that Kendrix didn't die, but was instead stuck, bodiless, insided the Morphing Grid itself, probably the first organic intelligent creature ever to do so and survive. She was able to exist like this for some time, only able to materialize long enough to pass the torch over to Karone. Now, at the end of the season, once the Quasar Sabers were planted back on Mironoi, the healing power of the swords, combined with DNA that was probably left on Kendrix's, would allow her body to regenerate, allowing her to come back from the Morphing Grid.

I will be getting to the other seasons here in a bit, I just need a breather to recollect my thoughts.
Langley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/25/15, 11:05 PM   #2
MattEmily
Administrator

Default Re: My Ideas on the Morphing Grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langley View Post
The reason I say Power Coin instead of Power Morpher, is that I've never really believed that the Power Morpher is needed to morph. The Power Coin acts as the link the morphing grid, and it has been shown on several occasions (Predominantly when Tommy first became a Power Ranger) that you only need the Power Coin to morph.
I completely agree that you do not need the Power Morpher in order to morph. Tommy has shown this and on top of which we've seen this with the Wild West Rangers as well.

Quote:
Also, because the coins are templated and genetically locked to one person, this may cause problems if new members need to be activated.
Actually this would be incorrect since they were never shown to be locked to any one person. Zack, Trini and Jason would have been able to transfer their Coins over to Adam, Aisha and Rocky if they were leaving one at a time but because they needed to transfer all 3 powers at once it required more power and Kimberly was able to simply just hand her Ninja Coin over to Kat without an issue.

Quote:
My theory is that Kendrix didn't die, but was instead stuck, bodiless, insided the Morphing Grid itself, probably the first organic intelligent creature ever to do so and survive. She was able to exist like this for some time, only able to materialize long enough to pass the torch over to Karone. Now, at the end of the season, once the Quasar Sabers were planted back on Mironoi, the healing power of the swords, combined with DNA that was probably left on Kendrix's, would allow her body to regenerate, allowing her to come back from the Morphing Grid.
Kendrix did die even the Power Rangers website has referred to her disappearing as her dying however I think her Saber was able to snatch her soul (or spirit) up and it was able to re-energize her and resurrect her back to life once it and the other 4 Sabers did the same thing to Mirinoi.
MattEmily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/04/15, 11:35 AM   #3
No Green Spandex
Power Ranger

I think the Morphing Grid was created by the Morphing Masters. And Zordon figured out how to access it to create his own Ranger teams. Other beings did as well , based on all the alien Rangers we have seen.
No Green Spandex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/08/15, 08:21 PM   #4
Overdrive Omega
Comic Relief

Pretty interesting, but the Morphing Grid seemed to be an artifical energy center in OO. Alpha actually teleported into it to fix the Overdrve Grid Tap.
Overdrive Omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New ThreadReply