Power Ranger Online Message Board  

Go Back   Power Ranger Online Message Board > Power Rangers Online > Off-Topic Discussion > Sailor Moon Kingdom

Share This Forum!  

Post New ThreadReply

Old 12/13/14, 04:04 PM   #1
MegaBlue
Putty Patroller

Default Re: One problem with Viz dub

So, I came across the newer dubbed episodes on Hulu, and thought I'd watch my all-time favorite Sailor Moon episode, "Too Many Girlfriends" (or, as it's called now, Total Chaos! The Messy Love Rectangle"). It was one of the first episodes of the anime that I remember watching, besides when FK screened the premiere of the R season that one morning, so it holds a special place in my heart, even 20 years later. It's also one of the only episodes of the dub that was edited when USA ran it, while Christian-based WBNX ran it unedited (there's a line that Jupiter says when she first attacks Monster-Rita: "I'm gonna blast this broad all the way back to the Negaverse! Say goodbye!" That line skirted past WBNX's censors, but not past USA's!).

Anyway, I've seen both edits on the dub, the Sailor Moon Abridged take on it, and now the Viz dub (which, I presume, is 100% faithful to the original). While I'm still on the fence about the new dub, it actually wasn't too bad. Zoicite's male VA does sound a bit effeminate, so that helps things out. Some things I noticed:

- Wally the Weatherman of the '90s has been replaced with a boring old meteorologist. Points to DiC on this one.

- Lita's and Andrew's conversation, in contrast to Makoto and Motoki, just flows better. I don't like how Makoto is personalized in this new dub, as opposed to boy-crazy tough-girl Lita from the DiC era. Maybe it's a personal bias, but I liked the old one here.

- No tiaras flying at me for scene changes. Goodbye, '90s charm.

- Reika isn't going to Africa to study bugs. She's probably going over there to help Ebola patients. Well, it was nice knowing you. The dialogue on the phone, when she calls him as the girls are making dinner, is... Different, here. The new dub has her finally making her decision, whereas the old dub just has her being depressed, and Andrew running off to be with her.

- The conversation between Makoto and Reika is much more serious now than it was with Lita and Rita in the '90s. I think it's longer now, too. It seemed faster-paced back in the '90s.

- There's a scene where Usagi fantasizes about Motoki (agh, these names...) asking her to be his bride. I yelled, "SHE'S UNDERAGE!" Oh, then she leans in for the kiss, only to find out that she's about to plant one on Makoto. I wish DiC had left this in, but it does explain that weird Luna face with the twisted whiskers (in the other dub, Serena's just nervous, then Luna shouts, "RELAX! IT'S JUST A COOKING LESSON, OKAY?!") as a response.

- They actually acknowledged that she cut her finger in what I think is a direct response to the old dub. However, she just says, "I CUT MY FINGER!"

- Speaking of new things now, the old dub, I think, moved the "we find out it's Rita" scene to before Serena and Lita show up at Andrew's. Here, it's right after the arcade scene. It might not be in a different spot after all, but it just seems like it's later in the episode in the other dub.

- I think the Reika-Monster does more now than the Rita-Monster did. The aforementioned 'controversial' line from the old dub is now Makoto just summoning her powers from almighty Zeus. Points back to DiC for "blast this broad back to the Negaverse!"

- The scene and the overall mood are still the same, but why does Rei attack Usagi before the Moon Healing bit? The old dub played on the Raye/Serena rivalry that they'd built up, but it seems out of place here, almost like it doesn't belong. (Rei says something along the lines of, "Shut up and do your job." I don't quite remember what the DiC dub said here, but I know the SMA one had fun with that footage.)

- The end scene, where it freeze-frames on the girls in the airport, expands out now to show Motoki's embarrassed reaction. The old dub cut out before it got that far.

Overall, the new dub's take on it was... Okay. The addition of the Usagi fantasy scene was a good touch, but, as someone who's seen the original dub for the past 20 years, I can't help but judge it on its own merits.
MegaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/13/14, 04:07 PM   #2
RawkRanger
Putty Patroller

Default "Too Many Girlfriends"

You are foolish if you think the original Sailor Moon has to bend over to conform to your standards. This new dub was made BECAUSE so many people wanted to see Sailor Moon as Japan did, uncut and complete. If you want to know why people like Viz Dub's better now watch 45-46 of the new dub.
RawkRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/13/14, 04:29 PM   #3
Dyl
Putty Patroller

Default Re: "Too Many Girlfriends"

I keep hearing people say this how they came across the new dub. Now is the new dub of the classic sailor moon episodes or the new sailor moon crystal episodes. I've been searching in google for any dubbed sailor moon crystal episodes but came across nothing.
Dyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/13/14, 04:32 PM   #4
MegaBlue
Putty Patroller

Default Re: "Too Many Girlfriends"

New dub" is the newly dubbed original Sailor Moon episodes. I just happened to finally see that it was now up on my Hulu Plus, which is why I said "I came across the newer dubbed episodes."

It's probably just a limited-time release until the own-it-at-home set is out, because 1-23 disappeared after a while, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawkRanger View Post
You are foolish if you think the original Sailor Moon has to bend over to conform to your standards. This new dub was made BECAUSE so many people wanted to see Sailor Moon as Japan did, uncut and complete. If you want to know why people like Viz Dub's better now watch 45-46 of the new dub.
Hold the phone. Who said anything about "bending over to conform to my standards"? I was commenting on ONE episode from both dubs, which happens to be one of my favorite episodes from the original dub. I haven't seen the original version of the DiC seasons, and Cloverway's S dub was close enough to the original that there really isn't a lot of difference there. I hardly remember SuperS, outside of Rini and that horse.

Anyway, so I'm not too keen on the new dub. I'm entitled to my opinion. (Also, I'll bet that 45/46 are the end of classic SM, in which all of the other Sailors die horrible and terrible deaths, instead of "we've been captured" or however DiC handled it.) I fell out of watching "Crystal," too, because it just felt, to me, like a speed-run of the original.
MegaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New ThreadReply