Power Ranger Online Message Board

Go Back   Power Ranger Online Message Board > Power Rangers Online > The Time Warp > Power Rangers Modern Archives
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Share This Forum!  

Post New ThreadReply

Old 04/05/08, 08:33 PM   #1
PRangerX
Administrator

Default DinoThunder: An Opertunity Lost?

DinoThunder proved to be a fan favorite season. And probably the most popular of the Disney produced seasons, thus far.

When you look at the characters, you could really see how it would have been a great time to go back to continuing casts. The DT Rangers were kids in high school, much like the original Ranger teams. Since they weren't tied to a Ninja School like the NS Rangers ( who would be great canidates otherwise), it would have been more plausible for them to get tottally unrelated Powers.

I'd suspect JDF wouldn't have been able to have been back. But you could have wrote him off and continue with the other castmembers.

The big obstecale would have been the Dekaranger footage. Which was much different than Abaranger and was based off a space cop theme. But through proper editing and innovative thinking you could have gotten around that.

I'd tie everything together to the greater PRU. Lets say that the UAE had been resembled and was causing turmoil in the galaxy. SPD would be an orginzation set up to protect the universe after Countdown To Destuction

Lets say the core DT team are attending school at Angel Grove University. Trent would be elsewhere. Devin and Cassidy would attend the school.

An force loyal to the UAE would restore Lothor ( his genetic sample surviving the destruction of Mesogog's Lair). Commanding him to conquer Earth. Lothor could have recruited Zeltrax to be his general ( who would have been revealed to have survived his aparent demise, not like he didn't get "destoryed" a few times). Lothor would be assisted by Broodwing, a servant of the new leader of the UAE ( Emporoer Gruumm). And would have all Broodwings technology to work with.

Sky Tate would be an alien SPD officer sent to Earth by Tommy. To recruit the DT team to once again be Power Rangers, to Ensure Earth would be protected from a UAE threat. It would be revealed that Tommy was in a secret mission in outer space. And shockingly, Trent had gone with him.

Sky would be SPD Red. Conner would be SPD Blue, Ethan would be Green, and Kira would be yellow. By a strange twist, Cassidy would end up becoming SPD Pink. Anton Mercer could be the mentor, having used his company to set up ficilities for the team ( knowing Tommy's plans). With Hayley back for tech support. Devin could fill the Boom role, in a less Zany way.

It would be interesting for the Rangers to have to deal with Anton as mentor. Since he would be less democratic then Tommy. Also Conner would be mad that he wasn't Red anymore. And for the first time not the team captian. Cassidy would be interesting to see as she adjusts to being a Ranger.The Rangers would also have to deal with Sky's more military approach to leadership.

Early on we could be introcduced to an alien theif named Jack Landors. Who Sky had been chasing earlier. He would rob from the rich to give to the poor. He would end up jioning the team as the Shadow Ranger. Much later Trent would return from Outer Space with the Omega Ranger powers.

The season could lead into yet another continuing season, carrying on with the remifications of the new UAE. Which would require more innovation, as you try and adapt Magiranger footage.

It would have been a great point to continue PR as a continuing saga again. Of course the opertunity is long gone. But its fun to look back and think about what could have been. Even if it is fan fic like. I did try to be realistic. Which is one of the main reason why I proceeded as if JDF couldn't be brought back.
PRangerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/05/08, 09:19 PM   #2
PrimoPiccolo
Eternal

Send a message via AIM to PrimoPiccolo

Wait, so Jack would've been a big blue dog?

Honestly, I'm long over Power Rangers having one big continuous storyline. It defined one generation of children when Space came to an end, and the rest was for future kids to enjoy as they came up. If every single event still linked back to decade-old characters at this point, it'd be beyond boring.

Now, I'm not for slaving to Super Sentai's storyline either, which is exactly why I loved what Dino Thunder did. Their plotline made a hell of a lot more sense than Abaranger's, so it was refreshing to see. When the throwback references were made, they were sensical, not just for fanwank. And most importantly, the DT characters grew tremendously in their year on the air. If they were on any longer, their characters would start to regress, like how Kat turned teenager and starved herself for the ballet.

I think Space served as the perfect turning point, Andros showing the audience that not all Power Rangers have to come by way of Zordon. The past ten seasons have simply been a showcase of that theory.
PrimoPiccolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/05/08, 09:28 PM   #3
PRangerX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimoPiccolo View Post
Wait, so Jack would've been a big blue dog?

Honestly, I'm long over Power Rangers having one big continuous storyline. It defined one generation of children when Space came to an end, and the rest was for future kids to enjoy as they came up. If every single event still linked back to decade-old characters at this point, it'd be beyond boring.

Now, I'm not for slaving to Super Sentai's storyline either, which is exactly why I loved what Dino Thunder did. Their plotline made a hell of a lot more sense than Abaranger's, so it was refreshing to see. When the throwback references were made, they were sensical, not just for fanwank. And most importantly, the DT characters grew tremendously in their year on the air. If they were on any longer, their characters would start to regress, like how Kat turned teenager and starved herself for the ballet.

I think Space served as the perfect turning point, Andros showing the audience that not all Power Rangers have to come by way of Zordon. The past ten seasons have simply been a showcase of that theory.
Actually, I envisioned Jack looking much the same as he looked in the real PRU. I don't think you neccessarly need to use a Dog Alien, just because Sentai did.

I think the yearly cast changes served its purpose for awhile. But I think the time has come to change things up again and go back to continuing casts. And would have worked pretty when DT ended.

No one says you have to keep the same cast for more then three or four years. There is bound to be cast changes anyway. Heck when you feel its time to start fresh, thats always possible.

I don't think everything has to tie into what happened 15 years ago. But you can start a new continuinty withing the existing PRU. Lets do something inovative instead of copying whatever Sentai is up to.
Old 04/06/08, 01:59 AM   #4
PrimoPiccolo
Eternal

Send a message via AIM to PrimoPiccolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRangerX
Actually, I envisioned Jack looking much the same as he looked in the real PRU. I don't think you neccessarly need to use a Dog Alien, just because Sentai did.
But it would seem kind of strange to me to have a humanoid assume the role of a Ranger with dog ears on a team without an animal theme.

Quote:
I don't think everything has to tie into what happened 15 years ago. But you can start a new continuinty withing the existing PRU. Lets do something inovative instead of copying whatever Sentai is up to.
Oh, I'm all for originality. But like I said, I'd prefer we start by giving more seasons original storylines to match the footage like Dino Thunder did, that'd shake things up for me more than going back to the "old" way of doing things.

And don't forget that Disney may not like that idea. Didn't they tell Bruce Kalish that he had to make the S.P.D. episodes more stand-alone than he wanted to?
PrimoPiccolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/06/08, 08:58 AM   #5
PRangerX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimoPiccolo View Post
But it would seem kind of strange to me to have a humanoid assume the role of a Ranger with dog ears on a team without an animal theme.

Oh, I'm all for originality. But like I said, I'd prefer we start by giving more seasons original storylines to match the footage like Dino Thunder did, that'd shake things up for me more than going back to the "old" way of doing things.

And don't forget that Disney may not like that idea. Didn't they tell Bruce Kalish that he had to make the S.P.D. episodes more stand-alone than he wanted to?
Yes, Disney is responsible for a lot of the problems in Power Rangers today. Doug had to fight for a lot of things during DT. Disney beleives PR should have no almost no continuinty. And that every problem should be solved by the end of the episode ( I guess Mack's robot arch was one the exceptions). They think Power Rangers is about adapting Sentai every year. Just because thats what Saban Entertianment did in its final few years. So they insist that it stays that way.
Old 04/06/08, 11:48 AM   #6
Knightfall
Rider Power Member

Sorry PRangerX but this idea would be horrible.

The DT cast wasn't great enough to continue beyond DT.

I thought the SPD cast was great (with the exception of Jack) and the cast wasnt the reason for SPD's problems.
Knightfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/07/08, 08:46 PM   #7
Sakura3
Power Ranger

I saw half of Dino Thunder myself. Anyway I thought it was a rather weak plot myself. I mean really they should have at least used something that didn't look like a rip on MMPR.

Except for Mercer the whole thing was way too much like MMPR. After 11 years they'd manage not to use the same Zords as last time.
Sakura3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/14/08, 04:43 PM   #8
red timeforce ranger
Power Ranger

Send a message via Yahoo to red timeforce ranger

diseny put old man as mentor to dt rangers and more abaranger footage in dt
Old 04/21/08, 05:31 PM   #9
Harlan Phoenix
Ranger In Training

I'd assume the Ten Terrors would've been adapted into new UAE aliens or some such? Under this set up, I mean.
Harlan Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/03/08, 11:35 PM   #10
PowerOnyx
Ranger In Training

What I would have liked to see:

More Ohranger footage requested like what was done with Zyuranger. That way Zeo would have gone for a year longer and transitioned into InSpace. Thus, NO Turbo.

With that said....

I'd like to see Go-Onger skipped. (Looks like another Turbo fiasco waiting to happen)

Instead bridge the gap between Lightspeed Rescue & SPD. Use MaskMan. Call the series Spirit Squadron. Use the MF rock theme but change Mystic to Spirit.

This way Go-Onger's iteration could be skipped altogether.

Fills in the gap. Explains who the 2005 Rangers where when SPD was on. Have some clues written into the show or hints as to how SPD evolves into TimeForce.
PowerOnyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New ThreadReply