Power Ranger Online Message Board  

Go Back   Power Ranger Online Message Board > Power Rangers Online > Off-Topic Discussion > Sailor Moon Kingdom
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Share This Forum!  

Post New ThreadReply

Old 11/18/14, 12:05 PM   #1
Sabrblade
Putty Patroller

Default Sailor Moon Hulu stream/Viz subtitle Observations

I have completed my notes for the Hulu stream Viz subtitles of all four episodes!

Before you read them, though, note that this is not, I repeat NOT a list of criticisms or complaints, but a list of neutral observations that merely caught my attention and made from an objective point of view. There are even some praises hidden within these notices.

Here the are:

Sailor Moon Hulu stream/Viz subtitle Observations – Oddities, Errors, and Other Notices

Week 1 – May 19, 2014

Episode 1

Hulu titles the episode “The Crybaby: Usagi's Beautiful Transformation”

The lyrics to “Moonlight Densetsu” are unsubbed.

Viz’s subs title the episode “The Crybaby Usagi’s Beautiful Transformation”

“Mama” is subbed as “Mom”.

The sign outside the school is subbed as “JUBAN PUBLIC MIDDLE SCHOOL”.

“Tsukino-san” is subbed as just “Tsukino”.

“Maboroshi no Ginzuishou” is subbed as “Legendary Silver Crystal”.

“Shihaisha” is subbed as “great ruler”

“Youma” is subbed as “Monster”, with an uppercase M.

The sign for the Juban-chō Shopping District is subbed as “Juban District”.

“Lucky!” is subbed as “score!”

“Papa” is subbed as “Dad”.

“Odango atama” is subbed as “bun-head”.

The sign outside the Tsukino house that lists the names of all four of its residents is subbed instead as “TSUKINO RESIDENCE”.

“Present” is subbed as “gift”.

“Senshi” is subbed as “Guardian”.

When Morga is choking Naru, her use of “Mama” is instead subbed as “Mother”. After which it switches back to “Mom”.

“Ai to seigi no… sailor fuku bishoujo senshi… Sailor Moon!” is subbed as “I’m the pretty guardian… who fights for love and for justice… I am Sailor Moon!”

“Tsuki ni kawatte oshiokiyo!” is subbed as “In the name of the Moon, you will be punished!”

Sailor Moon’s speech is subbed as “Uh, I’m.. “I’m the pretty guardian… who fights for love and for justice… I am Sailor Moon! In the name of the Moon, you will be punished!”

Luna’s use of the word “Youma” is subbed as “monster” with a lowercase M.

Tuxedo Kamen’s speech is subbed as “I’m Tuxedo Mask! Crying won’t solve anything, Sailor Moon!”

“Kaibutsu” is also subbed as “monster”.

The lyrics to “Heart Moving” are unsubbed.

Not sub-related, but I just realized that I never noticed that there was a cityscape in the background of this end credits sequence this whole time.

In the next-episode preview, “Seigi no mikata” (meaning “ally of justice”) is subbed as “superhero”.

“Uranai House” (meaning “House of Fortune”, “Fortune House”, “Fortune-Telling House”, etc.) is subbed as “Fortune Teller”.

“Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon” is subbed as “Next time on Sailor Moon”.

The subs title the next episode “Punishment Awaits: The House of Fortune is The Monster Mansion”.

The closing tagline is subbed as “The moonlight is a messenger of love.”

Episode 2

Hulu titles the episode “Punishment Awaits: the House of Fortune Is the Monster Mansion”

The pre-episode segment was moved from before the theme song to after it, just like what was done for the ADV DVDs.

Sailor Moon’s pre-episode speech is subbed as “You know what’s worse than being rude and damaging things that aren’t yours? People who think nothing of other people’s feelings! I am Sailor Moon. In the name of the moon, you will be punished!”

“Kono Sailor Moon ga tsuki ni kawatte oshiokiyo” is subbed as “I am Sailor Moon. In the name of the moon, you will be punished!”

Usagi’s pre-title card introductory segment is subbed “I’m Usagi Tsukino, and I’m a 14-year-old middle school student. I’m a Cancer with blood type O. My birth stone is a pearl, and… I’m a bit of a klutz. I also tend to cry a lot… One day, this strange black cat named Luna appeared… and turned me into a guardian in a sailor uniform… and told me I had to fight bad guys! Boy, does that ever makes me really nervous! But I’m sure it’ll all work out fine!”

Viz’s subs title the episode “I Will Punish You! The House of Fortune is the Monster Mansion”.

The second name Haruna-sensei calls roll for is subbed as “Kenji Ohta” and the fourth one she calls is subbed as “Yuji Kimura” (ADV subbed them as “Kenji Oota” and “Yuuji Kimura”).

The diary in Umino’s fantasy about dating Usagi is subbed as “SECRET DIARY”, and the “Mama” and “Papa” on the backs of the silhouetted Ikuko and Kenji also seen in his fantasy are subbed as “MOTHER FATHER”.

“Uranai Game” is subbed as “fortune telling game”.

The heart logo on Umino’s game is subbed as “Happy Couple”

“Uranai House” is subbed as “House of Fortune”.

Naru’s use of “Jubangai” is subbed as “Juban District”.

The alley fortune teller’s use of “Jubangai” is subbed as “10th avenue”.

The logo on the Uranai House is subbed as “HOUSE OF FORTUNE”

“Motoki-oniisan” is subbed as just “Motoki”.

Usagi’s use of “Jubangai” is subbed as “Juban District” again.

After Mamoru leaves, Usagi’s use of “Mou” is subbed as “Cripes” instead of it usual “Jeez” translation.

Yuji’s use of “Sensei” is omitted from the subs of his line of dialogue.

“Sailor Moon henshin yo,” is subbed as “Time to transform into Sailor Moon.”

“Moon Prism Power, Make Up!” does not have a comma in the subs this time, whereas it did have one last episode.

Sailor Moon’s speech is subbed as “You know what’s worse than being rude and damaging things that aren’t yours? People who think nothing of other people’s feelings, that’s what! I am the pretty guardian who fights for love and for justice! I am Sailor Moon. In the name of the Moon, you will be punished!”

Tuxedo Kamen’s speech is subbed as “No matter how bad things look, don’t ever give up.”

Balm’s name is subbed as “Baum” (ADV subbed her name as “Bam”).

Umino’s use of “Haruna-sensei” is subbed as “Ms. Haruna”.

In the next-episode preview, the subs title the next episode “The Mysterious Sleeping Sickness, Protect the Girls in Love.”

Episode 3

Hulu titles the episode “The Mysterious Sleeping Sickness: Protect the Girls in Love”

In the pre-episode preview, what was subbed as an “Abominable snowman!” joke by ADV is subbed here as a “And this isn’t a crosswalk!” joke.

Sailor Moon’s pre-episode speech is subbed as “Trampling on the innocent hearts of girls, even if they are silly with spring fever… That’s crossing the line! And this isn’t a crosswalk! I am Sailor Moon, and in the name of the Moon, you will be punished!”

“Kono Sailor Moon ga tsuki ni kawatte oshiokiyo” is subbed as “I am Sailor Moon, and in the name of the Moon, you will be punished!”

Usagi’s pre-title card introductory segment is subbed “I’m Usagi Tsukino, and I’m a 14-year-old middle school student. I’m a Cancer and a blood type of O. My birthstone is a pearl. And I’m a bit of a klutz. And some people might say I’m a little emotional. One day, this strange black cat named Luna appeared and turned me into a guardian in a sailor uniform and told me I had to fight bad guys! Boy, does that ever make me nervous! But I’m sure it’ll all work out fine!”

Viz’s subs title the episode “The Mysterious Sleeping Sickness, Protect the Girls in Love”

Jadeite’s use of “Queen Beryl-sama” is omitted from the subs of his line of dialogue about everything going according to plan but needing more time to assure his success.

Flau’s name is subbed as “Furau” (ADV subbed her name as “Flowa”).

Haruna’s pen name is subbed as “Haruna the Dreamer”.

“Jubangai” is subbed as just “Juban”.

Jadeite’s radio alias is subbed as “J. Daito” (ADV subbed it as “J-Dite”).

FM No.10 is subbed as “FM Ten”.

Luna’s yelling “USAGI!” is subbed as “Usagi Tsukino!”

Kenji’s newspaper headings are not subbed.

Ikuko’s use of “Papa” towards Kenji is subbed as “dear”.

Usagi’s uses of both “Sensei” and “Haruna-sensei” are subbed as “Ms. Haruna”.

“Lucky!” is subbed as “Lucky for me!”

Umino’s use of “Haruna-sensei” is subbed as “Miss Haruna”.

A different use of “Lucky” got subbed as “lucked out”.

“Neko-chan” is subbed as “kitty”.

Naru’s and Umino’s simultaneous “Dōshite?!” (“Why?!”) is subbed as “What?! You’re jealous?!”

When Usagi is sent away from the radio station by the guard, FM No. 10 is first subbed as “FM Number Ten” and then again as “FM Ten” back in Usagi’s room.

The name of Haruna-sensei’s love letter that was read on the radio earlier is subbed as “Haruna in Love”.

Luna’s other yelling of “USAGI!” is again subbed as “Usagi Tsukino!”

The Hensō Pen is not named in the subs as its name won’t actually be spoken onscreen until episode 52.

Like last episode, “Moon Prism Power, Make Up!” is subbed without the comma it had in episode 1’s subs.

Sailor Moon’s speech is subbed as “The pretty guardian who fights for love and for justice… I am Sailor Moon! Trampling on the innocent hearts of young girls in love is crossing the line. This isn’t a crosswalk! (Luna: “Just leave out the “crosswalk” part!”) Oh yeah… Anyway! In the name of the Moon, you will be punished!”

“Ai to seigi no sailor fuku bishoujo senshi … Sailor Moon!” is subbed as “The pretty guardian who fights for love and for justice… I am Sailor Moon!”

Like in the pre-episode segment, the ADV-subbed “abominable snowman” joke is subbed here as a “crosswalk” joke.

Tuxedo Kamen does not give a speech in this episode.

The Juban-chō Shopping District sign is not subbed.

Haruna-sensei’s use of “Tsukino-san!” at the end of the episode is subbed as “Usagi!” instead of just “Tsukino” like in episode 1.

In the next-episode preview, “nikuman” is subbed as “pork bun”.

The subs title the next episode “Learn How To Be Skinny From Usagi.”

Episode 4

Hulu titles this episode “Learn How to Be Skinny from Usagi”

Sailor Moon’s pre-episode speech is subbed as “Preying on young girls’ dreams of becoming fit is just about the most evil thing you can do. It’s unforgivable! I am Sailor Moon, and in the name of the Moon, you will be punished!”

In the pre-episode preview, “Kono Sailor Moon ga tsuki ni kawatte oshiokiyo” is subbed as “I am Sailor Moon, and in the name of the Moon, you will be punished!” (same as last episode)

Usagi’s pre-title card introductory segment is subbed the same as it was last episode.

Viz’s subs title the episode “Learn How to be Skinny From Usagi”

Usagi’s scream is subbed as “What?”

“Haruna” is subbed as “Ms. Haruna”.

The gym’s name is subbed as “Shaperin” (ADV subbed it a “Shapely”).

The name of the actress in the promotional video for the gym is subbed as “Rie Goto” (ADV subbed her name as “Rie Gotou”).

“Shape Kōsen” is subbed as “Shape Ray”.

The sign above the door to the spa where Usagi is subbed “SPA ROOM”

“Nikuman” is subbed as “pork bun” (ADV subbed it as “dumpling”).

“Onii-san” is subbed as just “Motoki”.

“Nice Catch” is subbed as “Good Catch”

Sailor Moon’s speech is subbed as “Release Ms. Haruna from there! Preying on the dreams of girls who want to be fit! You’re an unforgivable enemy of all women! (Jadeite: “So it’s you again.”) You bet it is! I am the pretty guardian… Who fights for love and for justice… I am Sailor Moon… and in the name of the Moon, you will be punished!”

“Ai to seigi no… sailor fuku bishoujo senshi… Sailor Moon… Tsuki ni kawatte oshiokiyo!” is subbed as “I am the pretty guardian… Who fights for love and for justice… I am Sailor Moon… and in the name of the Moon, you will be punished!”

The video for this Viz release has finally corrected the technical error that has existed in all previous versions (to my knowledge) of this episode! When Sailor Moon goes for the third enemy and dodges the weight he swings at her, the glitch in this part that originally played a split-second of stock footage from Sailor Moon’s transformation sequence in the middle of this part for no good reason is cut out! However, the result of this is makes it look like the guy swinging the weight halt his motion mid-swing for that split-second before continuing the swing’s full range of motion. So it’s not exactly something that could be fixed with perfection.

“Chance!” is subbed as “Now!”

“Thank you!” is subbed as “Thanks, mom!”

In the next-episode preview, the subs title the next episode “Scent Of A Monster: Chanella Will Steal Your Love.” Even though this very same preview subs the pets’ name as “Chanela” (one L) right before the title.
Sabrblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New ThreadReply