Power Ranger Online Message Board

Go Back   Power Ranger Online Message Board > Power Rangers Online > General Fandom Discussion

Share This Forum!  

Post New ThreadReply

Old 12/10/14, 08:32 PM   #1
danlav05
Putty Patroller

Default Power Rangers fans and fan films

Fan films have been going for a long time and since the internet has been improving in the 2000s they are more of a popular sub-genre. With films like 'Star Trek: Phase II' and 'Batman: Dead End' around they are getting more and more professional, however especially with the latter CBS have said that they can exist as long as the filmmakers don't profit from their efforts.

in 2010 Bat in the Sun released 'City of Scars' [if you haven't seen it then just Google it!] a half hour Batman film which is VERY faithful to the comics. The quality is mind-blowing in all ways, action, story, costumes, cinematography... now the producer/director Aaron Schoenke is working with Jason David Frank on a Green Ranger spin-off [Which started as a movie idea then developed into a webseries]. Like him or not Tommy is the most prolific and longest-serving Ranger coming back more than anyone else. I believe their aiming to continue the character in a more PG-13 environment filling the gaps of his missing years. They've already started in the form of Super Power Beat Down which has blessing from Saban, and they are waiting for blessing on the Green Ranger spin-off; knowing Aaron and co's work from Batman I'm personally confident that we will get quality. Plus, JDF is announced to headline their original webseries 'Taz Kayden: Operation Black Unicorn' which is described a mix between The Expendables franchise and FX's hit series Archer, with a heavy comic-book influence. I have a faith in Bat in the Sum to do good work having followed them for years; as an adult I am interested in following Tommy's story in a new way which seems not to interfere with the TV series/movies.

But I digress; my question is why do so many people on here seem to hate fan films? MMPR promised amazing work [a movie in fact] before changing their plans; their Kickstartetr ended last year - they have just filmed an episode and some short pieces. None of which has been released. Zordon of Eltar however have worked a lot better - Teenagers With Attitude is due very soon, a short film reimagining Jason and co -- but they have remained honest in their intentions and with a lot of effect work ZoE will take longer.

So they're not all bad. Before people mention the C Word, it's not copyright infringement UNLESS you intend to sell your fanfilm without Saban's permission. Kickstarters are risky in that area, I agree, but it is always to good to see creative and talented fans tell new stories of the Power Rangers.

There is good stuff out there, and even with the Lionsgate movie on the way it is always good to see alternative versions of the Rangers.
danlav05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/14, 08:39 PM   #2
lablue6uy
Putty Patroller

Default Re: Power Rangers fans and fan films

"MMPR promised amazing work [a movie in fact] before changing their plans; their Kickstartetr ended last year - they have just filmed an episode and some short pieces."

so you think its ok to make a trailer and tell people this is what the film will be a dark gritty lord zedd is out for for revenge movie but then turn around and make a totally different movie without returning any of the money to any of the fans who have a problem with it
lablue6uy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/14, 09:10 PM   #3
danlav05
Putty Patroller

Of course not, that's why I brought it up before Zordon of Eltar. I was part of that campaign and their incompetence has annoyed
danlav05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/14, 09:12 PM   #4
PRHOLLAND
Putty Patroller

This board is mostly positive about these projects unless A) People supported them and don't deliver what they promise or B) when the idea is unrealistic, weird or simply illegal.

The latter is has shown up surprisingly often recently, but hey, we tried to warn those guys!
PRHOLLAND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/14, 09:48 PM   #5
Nebula Ranger
Putty Patroller

Why do people hate fan films?

Well to quote Shamus Kelly of Dan's toku rants.

1: People, by and large, do not want to watch fan films.

Especially in the Toku fandom. There are some wonderful people who really appreciate how much it takes to make a fan film and are willing to accept any shortcomings in them. But most? If it isn’t as good as the show they don’t care.

It would be one thing if we didn’t have any currently airing series and fan films were the only thing fans could turn to but we not only have Power Rangers but a myriad of Toku available online both new and old. Why would someone bother watching something pretending to be their favorite show when they could just watch the show itself?

Keep this in mind, many fan films of Batman and mainstream comic heroes that have huge fandoms get over looked and receive little attention. This means your toku fan film has little to no chance of breaking out into mainstream success.
More on that here: http://danstokurants.rangercentral.com/?p=2682
Nebula Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/14, 09:53 PM   #6
Mr. CD
Ranger In Training

It's not that we hate fanfilms, we just don't like it when the person proposing the idea have unrealistic high expectations for what their doing, have no work to show for it, oe rob people of their hard earn money and still have nothing to show for it despite working on it for two years.
Mr. CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/14, 10:48 PM   #7
Zabitan
Administrator

I am going to start a Kickstarter to raise $10 million that I will blow on weed, Mike's hard lemonade, and Cherry Dr. Pepper.

I'll then hold a casting call, and get a bunch of people to play the Rangers, and voice Zordon, and Rita.

I'll also take a bunch of Zyuranger clips.

And I'll make up my own story that's just a fast food version of season one but with elements of Zyuranger like Bandora's son Kai being adapted as Thrax, and the current Rangers being descendants of the original Rangers from Atlantis who are the Zyurangers.

Also in their civilian lives the Rangers will work at Five Nights at Freddy's esque Pizzeria run by a random fairy tale villain.

And at the end the Rangers will use their powers to beat up, and blow up the animatronics, and their boss will catch them, and fire them, and the Rangers will say thanks, and blow up their head with a blaster.

Also Rita, and her minions will be pimps, and drug dealers.

I will then make 10,000,000 bootleg Mighty Morphin Power Rangers DVDs real not fake, and sell them to various retail stores like Wal Mart, and F.Y.E., and say that they are non pirated.

If they sell well enough I will do the same thing to other seasons, and Saban superheroes.

Seriously though I've thought about it once or twice but I don't know enough people who could work on it with me, and I don't have enough money to make even a crappy one.

Plus the kind of story I would come up with, and the money to make it work I could just make my own characters.
Zabitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New ThreadReply