Power Ranger Online Message Board  

Go Back   Power Ranger Online Message Board > Power Rangers Online > Off-Topic Discussion > Sailor Moon Kingdom

Share This Forum!  

Post New ThreadReply

Old 02/16/08, 08:11 PM   #11
PRangerX
Administrator

Gundam has a US Franchise. The US Gundam imports open the door for people to explore the japenese shows.

Sailor Moon was part of educating the west on Japenese Anime. It helped to launch the modern day anime craze. It wasn't the only show by far, but was a big part.

Even if you would still know of it, a lot of people wouldn't. Sailor Moon wouldn't be what it was to people here. It would just be some Japenese Show that the hardest of hardcore's knew about.
PRangerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/17/08, 04:30 AM   #12
PrimoPiccolo
Eternal

Send a message via AIM to PrimoPiccolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by christpher
Also, like the live action series and the manga, Venus would be the leader of the senshi, instead of Moon.
Only problem I'd see with that approach is the uninformed moviegoers wondering why the movie isn't called Sailor Venus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Virginian
Spidey had in the comics as well.
That wasn't until mid-2004. They got the idea to give Spider-Man biological webbing from the movie.
PrimoPiccolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/17/08, 05:07 AM   #13
christphern
Ranger In Training

Send a message via AIM to christphern

True, they'd wonder about the name. But, you make Moon the leader, and people would wonder why. She has no qualities of a leader and was never leader in anything, even the anime. They just kind of glossed over any leadership roles all together in the anime.

PRX, I can give credit where credit is due, and say, yes, Sailor Moon's dub did pave the way for anime in the US. I've said that many times myself in the past. But, that said, that doesn't mean that the dub need be referenced in any way in a movie. There's a difference between respecting what it did for anime, and respecting what it is. I can respect what it did, and hate what it is.

Hollywood may do love stories like Usagi and Mamoru all the time, but, when you consider that they have to fit Usagi and Mamoru's love story, the Senshi's developement, and the escalating conflict with Beryl and the Shittenou. Add in the backstory, if they feel they can fit it, and it's getting way too crowded for a single movie deal. Like I said in my suggestion, they don't have to have them fall in love in one movie. It can be set up, and left to develop later. I mean, if you think about it, any development of their love story will be pretty much moot, as it'll be erased at the end of the film, unless that would be something they changed.

Chris
christphern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/17/08, 10:48 AM   #14
PRangerX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by christphern View Post
True, they'd wonder about the name. But, you make Moon the leader, and people would wonder why. She has no qualities of a leader and was never leader in anything, even the anime. They just kind of glossed over any leadership roles all together in the anime.

PRX, I can give credit where credit is due, and say, yes, Sailor Moon's dub did pave the way for anime in the US. I've said that many times myself in the past. But, that said, that doesn't mean that the dub need be referenced in any way in a movie. There's a difference between respecting what it did for anime, and respecting what it is. I can respect what it did, and hate what it is.

Hollywood may do love stories like Usagi and Mamoru all the time, but, when you consider that they have to fit Usagi and Mamoru's love story, the Senshi's developement, and the escalating conflict with Beryl and the Shittenou. Add in the backstory, if they feel they can fit it, and it's getting way too crowded for a single movie deal. Like I said in my suggestion, they don't have to have them fall in love in one movie. It can be set up, and left to develop later. I mean, if you think about it, any development of their love story will be pretty much moot, as it'll be erased at the end of the film, unless that would be something they changed.

Chris
Well I'd assume they'd probably use the dub names in any movie, unless they made up new ones. Since it would be for a US audience. Really it would be starting from scratch , so it wouldn't really have to be based specically on the dub or orginal. Since it would be based of the Sailor Moon Franchise itself. And really the actual mythology of the dub and the orginal are the same. Its the same show, just one has a lot of cuts and changes in diolouge.

If you do the Dark Kingdom in one movie, there is no way they'd be able to cover everything. So yes changes and cuts would have to made. Which could work if it is done right.

I could see Usagi and Mamoru's romance happening, as well as their backstory being mentioned. At least by the end of the movie. I think the generals would have to be mostly downplayed. The focus would have to be on Beryl as the villain.

The Sailor Soldiers would probably lose a lot too, which is why I suggested cutting a few of them out. But it probably could work. Moon is the star anyway.

But sure you could do multiple movies just based off the Dark Kingdom arch. Of course you want your first movie to be good enough that you get a chance to make more.
PRangerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New ThreadReply