Power Ranger Online Message Board

Go Back   Power Ranger Online Message Board > Power Rangers Online > Off-Topic Discussion > Kamen Rider Online

Share This Forum!  

Post New ThreadReply

Old 08/07/09, 12:55 AM   #1
TokuNoob
Power Ranger

Smile So How are the Kids Taking It?

"Ok, the show Kamen Riders originated in Japan and began the start of the full series in 1973. Kamen Riders has been around for over 30 almost 40 years.
Power Rangers was just a show that a Kamen Rider fan created. Now don't get me wrong. I love Power Rangers. I still watch the old episodes.
But Kamen Riders was the real start of it all.
Big Bad Beetle Borgs was later added to the Saga of Kamen Rider like shows.

So in conclusion,

1st Came Kamen Riders
2nd Came Power Rangers
and 3rd came Big Bad Beetle Borgs.

Yes, I've done a bit of experimenting. What I discovered was this: If you should type in simply "Kamen Rider Forum" into the Google search engine, the first link you'll come across is the "Generation Kikaider" Forums, which seems to be winning out with the more mature crowd. Kamen Rider Central holds a healthy position as Number #4 on the list. However Number #2 is the official 4Kids forum. Curiosity got the better of me, and I did some poking around. The forum is a full of comments like this, mostly half right. Anyway, before you have the compulsion to try it for yourself, sign up on the forum and set the record straight, further investigation revealed that the kids (well we're to believe they're kids anyway) were in fact researching Kamen Rider, and I stumbled upon several references to Decade. Dragon Knight may as of yet open the doors for Tokusatsu here in the west... Assuming it isn't just some phase that they'll eventually grow out of, like most people at my school who watched Power Rangers growing up.

Anyway, I found this to be moderately interesting, and against all of the improper grammar and inaccurate trivia it served as a mostly good sign... (For Toku fans, not parents.)
TokuNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/07/09, 01:21 AM   #2
Kamen Rider DiEnd
Putty Patroller

What now... I have no idea what this kid is talking about. Power Rangers were created by the adaption of Super Sentai (Which started with Himitsu Sentai Goranger in 1975, only a mere two years after Kamen Rider aired in Japan.) To say that Haim Saban is a fan of Kamen Rider only... that's an appaling oversight... but I guess it can't be helped.

As for Big Bad Beetle Borgs, that originally came from the Tokusatsu show, B Fighter in 1995. Now, I can see how that came to be like Kamen Rider, but I don't think it had any role in it's creation.

Just a mix of facts in my opinion.

[I]"The robber got robbed!" - Tsukasa, Kamen Rider Decade, Episode 24 "Arrival of the Samurai Taskforce"[/I]
Kamen Rider DiEnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/07/09, 01:27 AM   #3
TokuNoob
Power Ranger

Well that comment made me smile anyway. Like I said, most were half right, and all of the so called "corrections" other kids posted were just as flawed.
Old 08/07/09, 06:01 PM   #4
PrimoPiccolo
Eternal

Send a message via AIM to PrimoPiccolo

Never thought I'd say this, but thank God for Wikipedia. There were so many errors in what this 4Kids poster submitted, it was embarrassing.

Kamen Rider was Shotaro Ishinomori's idea, and first aired in 1971. Super Sentai came from the braintrust of a few people who went by the name Saburo Yatsude/Saburo Hatte. The Metal Hero series got up and running in the early '80s, and the only thing linking it to Ishinomori were appearances by Bicrosser and Machineman, two of Ishinomori's creations. And all three are bound only by the fact that Toei produced all of the series.

And to say "Kamen Rider came first" is ridiculous, given the most faithful vein to these kinds of series, "Henshin Heroes", probably started with Ultraman if anything. And that was in 1966. I just hope the BeetleBorgs comment wasn't linked to the bug theme, since Kamen Rider was off the air in the '90s, thus giving Toei free reign on insect themes during that time.
PrimoPiccolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/08/09, 07:34 PM   #5
TokuNoob
Power Ranger

"Originally Posted by American Reject
chaotic is not like pokemon, and to tell you the truth, Kamen Rider is not quite like Power Rangers, i think it is even more retarded, lol."

AR speaks the truth.
Yet another quote from the 4kids forum. Really, more retarded than Power Rangers? Hmmm... So a show that takes itself seriously and places characters in believably dangerous situations is worse than a show where the worst the villain can come up with is ruining the school dance... Honestly, there truly is no justice in the world when such a comment is posted. If these kids really want to bash something cheap and poorly conceived why don't they spam the Dinosaur King forum thread? It's like how Speed Racer the movie (which I enjoyed to know end) did poorly at the box office, while Nicolodeons crappy "Speed Racer: the Next Generation" is still running. Fitting how the next generation is worse than the original, don't ya' think.

What's even more troubling to me is that these kids feel the same contempt not only for Tokusatsu (most don't know what that is), but to all realms of fantasy. I've met children who express deep contempt, and actually become enraged at the mere mention of Godzilla, Power Rangers, Cloverfield, Speed Racer (the movie) and even Iron Man! Are children really convinced there's no point in fantasy, the fantastic and the surreal... Let's hope not.
Old 09/08/09, 08:46 PM   #6
Tendou
Ranger In Training

I do not believe that children are no longer interested in fantasy. In fact I think it is the total opposite. A show like Huntik did very well and I also believe it to be a very well made show. Something you don't see often on Saturday mornings anymore. All one million different TMNT shows and Yugioh are also faring well. These are all fantasy shows.

You have to put into consideration who truly is on those boards. It is not only children. There is a mixture of different age groups even though it should be only children. Certain people like to troll these forums. I wouldn't be surprised if our fellow Tokusatsu fans are the ones bashing the show every chance they get due to the fact that they don't believe anything made here in the U.S. can match the original.

Another aspect at work here is how taboo it has become to like certain shows. Power Rangers has made such a deep scar due to Disney's mishandling of the series. I don't believe this will continue for long though due to the change in the handling of PR and the handling of DK.

I do believe that the show is doing well. This can be evidenced in other countries picking up the show due to the reception. Even in Japan they are going to air it.(The original Ryuki actors will voice the characters.) I am hoping that DK will start a wave of Tokusatsu shows coming over here with original concepts. I would personally like to see either Blade or Kabuto remade like Ryuki was.
Old 09/08/09, 09:02 PM   #7
TokuNoob
Power Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tendou View Post
Another aspect at work here is how taboo it has become to like certain shows.

I am hoping that DK will start a wave of Tokusatsu shows coming over here with original concepts. I would personally like to see either Blade or Kabuto remade like Ryuki was.
Thanks. I feel better now. Yeah, I remember being picked on in school for watching Power Rangers, and more people are into Godzilla than those who will admit it to your face. So yeah, I had over looked that issue. I was just trying to vent. I guess I'll just keep off of 4Kids for now, no matter how my curiosity gets to me.
Old 09/08/09, 09:52 PM   #8
Tendou
Ranger In Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokuNoob View Post
Thanks. I feel better now. Yeah, I remember being picked on in school for watching Power Rangers, and more people are into Godzilla than those who will admit it to your face. So yeah, I had over looked that issue. I was just trying to vent. I guess I'll just keep off of 4Kids for now, no matter how my curiosity gets to me.
I also occasionally check it out to see what people's responses are to DK, but then I realize that those forums are horrible and I run. When I was in elementary school it was okay to watch PR and other shows like that. Once I got to junior high that is when it became taboo. That was also during the time where PR started to stagnate a bit though and it became very corny. I believe that to be around the early 2000's. As for Godzilla, I don't know a person who hasn't watched those movies and enjoyed themselves. I didn't know it was taboo myself until now though. lol
Old 09/09/09, 07:17 PM   #9
PrimoPiccolo
Eternal

Send a message via AIM to PrimoPiccolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokuNoob View Post
Really, more retarded than Power Rangers? Hmmm... So a show that takes itself seriously and places characters in believably dangerous situations is worse than a show where the worst the villain can come up with is ruining the school dance...
You know, there are some people who believe that making things "believable" in the realm of fantasy takes all the fun out of it. When they see silly, they want everything to be silly. They want an obvious good guy wearing colored spandex to fight an obvious bad guy that looks like a monster.

To some, a man saying "hey, takes these cards and go kill a guy" makes less sense. And honestly, they do have a point.

My point is, to each their own. If they don't like Dragon Knight, fine. More for us.
PrimoPiccolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New ThreadReply