Power Ranger Online Message Board

Go Back   Power Ranger Online Message Board > Power Rangers Online > The Time Warp > Power Rangers Modern Archives
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Share This Forum!  

Post New ThreadReply

Old 05/04/14, 10:42 PM   #1
Orange Ranger
Ranger In Training

Default Power Ranger's Writers

Man, these guys had it tough. It seemed that they always had to change something in the show a lot. I mean, with cast members leaving left and right, there's a lot of things that had to write in a write out. Of course, they wouldn't just have them leave the show without any explaination. Also, I don't want to offend anyone and this next comment can be removed. What would Power Rangers have been like if they had paid the actors better?
Orange Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/04/14, 10:45 PM   #2
PRangerX
Administrator

Default Re: Power Ranger's Writers

There has always been that type of thing in Power rangers. Sicne most of the time they don;t get all the Dentai footage until after filming has started. That has become more of a problem for the past 15 years.

In the ealry years they did have to be pretty creative. Since Austin ST John, , Thuy Trang, and Walter Jones walked out . They were pretty creative in how they bought time until they could get the replacements in. They uses a lot of clever editing to make it appear like Jason, Trini, and Zack we're still around.

They had another problem during Zeo when David Yost walked out of the set. Luckly, they just did the Billy aging plot to write him out.

Another quick write off happened during Lost Galaxy. where Valerie Vernon, discovered she had leukemia during filming. They had to write Kendrix out for Karone. Until Varone could come back. Luckly she ended up being ok.

If Saban had been able to pay its actors better during MMPR season 2, perhaps the cast would have stayed together longer. But no one was really the bad guy. The original actors signed contracts ahead of time. The problem was no one expected the show to become so big. The original actors had an unbelievable schedule for lower the usual pay . Since the show was non union at that point ( didn't go union until Space and was no longer union after Wild Force).. Thuy, Austin, and Walter just got bad advice from their agent to walk out. I think it was pretty inevitable that the orginals would have broken up sooner or later. I don't see them lasting more then a few seasons without cast changes.
PRangerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/28/14, 04:35 PM   #3
MattEmily
Administrator

Default Re: Power Ranger's Writers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Ranger - Yuku View Post
Man, these guys had it tough. It seemed that they always had to change something in the show a lot. I mean, with cast members leaving left and right, there's a lot of things that had to write in a write out. Of course, they wouldn't just have them leave the show without any explaination. Also, I don't want to offend anyone and this next comment can be removed. What would Power Rangers have been like if they had paid the actors better?
yea, they certainly had it rough, no question about that. I don't think the same actors being there the whole way would've done a whole lot, a lot of the original fans might still be there but eventually Saban would still be wanting to shake things up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRangerX90 View Post
There has always been that type of thing in Power rangers. Sicne most of the time they don;t get all the Dentai footage until after filming has started. That has become more of a problem for the past 15 years.
Sentai, not Dentai and the footage really didn't have much to do with what they did with the cast.

Quote:
In the ealry years they did have to be pretty creative. Since Austin ST John, , Thuy Trang, and Walter Jones walked out . They were pretty creative in how they bought time until they could get the replacements in. They uses a lot of clever editing to make it appear like Jason, Trini, and Zack we're still around.
Indeed, they were pretty creative there, knowing kids wouldn't even notice to half of the team physically not being there due to them using body doubles, old footage and voice-overs.

Quote:
They had another problem during Zeo when David Yost walked out of the set. Luckly, they just did the Billy aging plot to write him out.
Yup, that's true as well, it was also another creative way to write someone off.

Quote:
Another quick write off happened during Lost Galaxy. where Valerie Vernon, discovered she had leukemia during filming. They had to write Kendrix out for Karone. Until Varone could come back. Luckly she ended up being ok.
What do you mean until Karone could come back? That wasn't the issue. They had to write Valerie off because as you said... she was diagnosed with leukemia. Originally they had planned with Cassie staying behind and becoming the new Pink Ranger even to the point of likely filming some of these scenes but she wasn't happy with the salary she was getting as a Ranger so they had to replace her with Karone and re-do the ending to the Space/Galaxy teamup so that Cassie would leave with the other 4 Space Rangers.

Quote:
If Saban had been able to pay its actors better during MMPR season 2, perhaps the cast would have stayed together longer. But no one was really the bad guy. The original actors signed contracts ahead of time. The problem was no one expected the show to become so big. The original actors had an unbelievable schedule for lower the usual pay . Since the show was non union at that point ( didn't go union until Space and was no longer union after Wild Force).. Thuy, Austin, and Walter just got bad advice from their agent to walk out. I think it was pretty inevitable that the orginals would have broken up sooner or later. I don't see them lasting more then a few seasons without cast changes.
I'm sure someone would've left at some point since some people just don't want to be stuck doing the same role for years. Look at JDF for example, he wanted to leave during Zeo but they convinced him to stay a little bit longer.
Indeed, no one was really the bad guy. Te cast signed contracts ahead of time. Much like you said, no one really expected the show to become such a hit... no one except for Saban that is.
Yea, agreed with the unbelievable schedule for low salary... as well as the union and non-union part... as well as the bad advice part.

I do agree that the originals wouldn't have lasted for too long.
MattEmily is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New ThreadReply