Power Ranger Online Message Board  

Go Back   Power Ranger Online Message Board > Power Rangers Online > Off-Topic Discussion > Sailor Moon Kingdom
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Share This Forum!  

Post New ThreadReply

Old 11/08/14, 06:59 PM   #1
Sailor Star Dust
Putty Patroller

Default Misconceptions clarified: Usagi and Mamoru's intimacy

Their is a common misconception floating around that I wanted to help clarify (Usagi and Mamoru's relationship). Was hoping this could be a long post that include various translations/scans (Japanese 3rd edition with my translation, Kodansha USA 2nd edition translation, TokyoPop 1st edition translation) but I'm so insanely busy lately this is the most I could do right now. Apologies in advance!

In the 90's anime, Usagi and Mamoru's relationship seems mostly chaste: Though in SuperS, Minako teases Usagi about "knowing Mamoru's room very well", in the Nehelenia arc of Sailor Stars, Usagi mentions how (paraphrasing) "Spring is a season for couples", "she's finally in high school" and "Comfortable around Mamo-chan". Whether or not they ever have sex in Sailor Stars, we just don't know, though they're officially engaged before Mamoru "leaves for America" ( :supercry: ). In my teenage years, I read many a fanfic where they did it, post episode-200. :quagmire: Think I wrote one myself, though it was dark as hell, because teenagers and angst. P-:

In the manga, there are several scenes in the different arcs, such as Black Moon arc and Infinity arc--of Usagi and Mamoru making out (in contrast to various artwork by Naoko that depicts them having non-explicit sex). But the earliest that they could have consummated their relationship is sometime in the Dream arc (like the SM anime, we just don't know when exactly--besides in Act 60). For the curious, this blog goes into the details and IMO explains both Usagi and Mamoru's personalities (manga, at least) perfectly

http://ladyloveandjustice.tumblr.com...lications-that

I can at least confirm in the Japanese 3rd edition Usagi's talking about how it's already spring and she's in high school (How Miss Dream translated the dialogue from Japanese 2nd edition. This line is also similar to Usagi's words in Sailor Stars), while TokyoPop 1st Edition translated this "Just when I thought I was grown up enough to go for it!" vs Kodansha USA's 2nd Edition "With that way-too-long spring finally over, I was hoping we could take our relationship to the next level!"

Of course, in high school-related anime/manga, there's lots of talk about the spring or summer of one's youth (the height of their youth), which, of course, doesn't necessarily mean sex, just relationships in general. And ultimately, what matters about Usagi and Mamoru's relationship is their love, not all the nitty-gritty details. I just hate when misconceptions spread and catch like wildfire!

If Crystal will indeed animate all 5 manga arcs, I'm definitely looking forward to seeing how it portrays various elements (especially if Naoko changed her mind on some things and/or wants certain things expanded).
Sailor Star Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/08/14, 07:08 PM   #2
PRangerX
Administrator

Default Re: Misconceptions clarified: Usagi and Mamoru's intimacy

I think there was a scene at the end of the final manga arch where its before there wedding and they are in bed together. But that would have been when they were both adults since it was five years after the final battle. Mamoru started off as a high school student in the manga. So the age difference wasnt as big of a deal.

The anime is different in that Mamoru was already in college in the beginning. Given the nature of their past lives I think we can give them a pass on being in a relationship. But. I doubt Mamoru would mind waiting until Usagi was an adult to get intimate. He would never do anything to hurt her. Their love for each other was enough.
PRangerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New ThreadReply