Power Ranger Online Message Board  

Go Back   Power Ranger Online Message Board > Power Rangers Online > Off-Topic Discussion > Sailor Moon Kingdom
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Share This Forum!  

Post New ThreadReply

Old 11/03/14, 06:09 PM   #1
Muneshige
Putty Patroller

Default Random Thoughts on the Shitennou

Their names come from a Buddhist concept. North, South, East and West. They have various names in various countries.

But then their names are just the gemstones. Just random gemstones. Just like every other human of any sort of consequence that the minions of Chaos get their claws into. Yet every single instance of the story, it has never been suggested that they have any other names. When scenes of them either during the Silver Millenium/Golden Elysium Days (plays and video game primarily, I don't believe the manga ever refers to them by name then) or after their death, never are they given other names.

But all the other characters have Roman names. Of course, there is a Roman equivalent of the Shitennou. The Four Winds
North - Aquillo
South - Auster
East - Vulturnus
West - Favonius

Of course, one could debate which is which, but... seems like if they were expanded on... these could have been their original names. They would certainly fit better for guardians of a man called "Endymion". But, well... the Shitennou are not introduced in the manga based on their directions. Instead they are said to have ruled over continents-- Jadeite in Asia, Nephrite in North America, Zoisite in Europe, Kunzite in the Middle East. (So maybe there was a second group in the southern hemisphere we never met.)
One could almost draw a compass based on Asia, Europe and the Middle East, it is North America that screws it up. And from the point of view of the North Pole, all locations are South anyway. Plus, in any compass system North tends to be second only to center and so one would be tempted to have Kunzite take that position despite his area of influence being seemingly the most southern.

Similarly, in the manga it is said that they were born as humans. But every time we get a human name for them?
Kun Saito
Izou Saito
J. Daitou

That seems... odd, doesn't it?
Sailor Mar's name isn't "Ma Rus"
Sailor Mercury's name isn't "Mer Curry"

What if they did have human names?...
Well. The Inner Senshi's names did line up in an interesting way.
Tsukino
Mizuno
Aino
Hino
Kino

One of the elements (Moon, Water, Love, Fire, Tree) followed by "no". With Usagi's name following suit. Of course, some might be surprised to hear that other than Sailor Venus' name, those all follow suit with the names of the planets in Japanese. Mercury is called "Water Planet", Venus is called "Gold Planet", Mars is called "Fire Planet", Jupiter is called "Tree Planet" and well... the remaining senshi just take the name of their planets.

I guess nonJapanse fans can be glad that Venus's name wasn't "Kinno" with her having "gold" themed powers and having to keep that distinct from "Kino". But... well... that was because Sailor V was written first and her name was "Aino" well before the idea of other Senshi even appeared.

The outer senshi except Neptune are all screwed up though.
Do(sei) is Saturn, which means "Earth Planet". Which means.... Haruka probably should have been Sailor Saturn with the name "Dono". Though that would be potentially funny giving that "Dono" means "which one?" And, as you might note, "Tomoe" has nothing to do with the planets at all.
Tennou(sei) is Uranus, but it means "Heaven Planet". Yes, none of the Senshi really have heaven powers. But well... you know... none of the planet suggest mastery of time, so maybe Setsuna ought to have been Sailor Uranus.
Kaiou(sei) is Neptune which means "Ocean Planet". So, as I noted. Neptune stands alone as not being messed up.
Meiou(sei) is Pluto meaning "Death Planet". So.. yes... Sailor Saturn probably should have been the "Sailor Pluto".

Anyway, off-track, the Shitennou's unifying principle isn't elements. It is directions.
Since Endymion is Chiba and that "ba" means field, making it something that could apply to the others... what if one followed suit?

North - Kitaba
South - Namba
East - Touba
West - Nishiba

And you know what? Touba is the only one of those that isn't a common Japanese name. But it still wouldn't be the weirdest name imaginable. They would fit almost way too perfectly.
Of course, their personal names? Could be nearly anything. Seriously, stick just about any Japanese name in there and it could probably fit. One probably wants to avoid names that have to do with numbers (Ichiro, for instance) and stick with ones that have something to do with personality traits or roles or something. But... you know... "Mamoru" was going to originally be Makoto's name, so there really isn't a pattern one need adhere to there. Moreover, as I noted... I've little idea which one would be matched with which.

I can kind of understand this kind of thought and effort not being put into it. They had such a small part to play in any of the material they have appeared in that the idea of them having a different previous life name and a human name in addition to the name audiences know them by that it was probably considered to just make things dirt simple for the kids the anime was aimed at and just have these minor characters stick with just one name. And since the last anime incarnation is almost done and they will be dead in just a couple of episodes anyhow, its far too late to consider putting this much thought into the characters 20 years after their creation.

But, it is something I was thinking about lately and I thought I might share the thoughts with a community that might appreciate them. If anyone was ever interesting in writing a fanfic or something and wanted to go deeper into these characters than any canon material ever did, these might be some thoughts to consider.
PoP
Muneshige is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New ThreadReply