Power Ranger Online Message Board

Go Back   Power Ranger Online Message Board > Power Rangers Online > Power Rangers General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Share This Forum!  

Post New ThreadReply

Old 11/03/14, 10:45 PM   #1
Dasidreidia
Shadow Ranger

Default Lord Zedd Uses Duct Tape?!, And other props/scenery goofs

While watching Green No More, Part 1, about 18 1/2 minutes in (including opening theme and "Today on Power Rangers"), I noticed that Lord Zedd's staff had duct tape on it. It kinda diminishes the scene. He's talking about how the rangers are doomed, and he's walking around with a taped up staff.

Anyway, I figured we could have a topic to discuss prop/scenery mishaps and the hilarity or facepalming that ensue.

Go.
Old 11/03/14, 10:45 PM   #2
Nasuko
Shadow Ranger

Default Re: Lord Zedd Uses Duct Tape?!, And other props/scenery goofs

Lol, I didn't even notice that Das. Good eye. It's funny how they didn't cut that out, or do a reshoot. I guess everyone is entitled to a mistake. Besides we all know Duct Tape solves everything. laugh.gif
Old 11/03/14, 10:46 PM   #3
Acid_Override_Cool
Shadow Ranger

Duct tape and bailing twine indeed do hold the universe together. I finally got a chance to watch this episode again, and I am surprised I had never seen that before either. It seems pretty...obvious...now that I look again. Of course, I did kind of know where to look this time.
Old 11/03/14, 10:47 PM   #4
Takeo Tom
Shadow Ranger

I think it should be worth noted that footage from Super Sentai was used at the same time, and that voice dubbing was common. One could easily see this in season 1, when the same scene is used with different voice audio, and that the dubbing matched much better in season two with the introduction of Zedd, in that the mouths matched the speech.

Something else, and this takes a good eye, is that Walter Jones, the actor who plays Zack, is missing the middle finger of his left hand. When morphed, his suit reflects that not only he has a middle finger, but uses it as if it was always there. You can count this as a factoid too.

Something else worth noting is the difference in the chest plate of Tommy's green ranger suit. In Super Sentai, and the footage used from it, the armor is much more defined and rigid, however whenever he is seen with his helmet off, the armor looks to be a stuffed obvious prop.

As for the duct tape, that would be how us Americans would make Lord Zedd's staff, with a shaft, and the logo duct taped to the shaft itself, whereas Super Sentai has a solid and very well-built staff.

There's a lot of discrepancies in both PR and SS, since PR uses SS footage for the morphed scenes.

Something that's much harder to spot, is the difference between season one and season two, where they're on the off-road dirt track. There's a noticeable difference in fighting styles in the fight scenes between season one and two. Heck, you even see the black ranger dancing when morphed, which was unheard of in season one. This was because in season two, they actually filmed the American actors in costume, and did the fight scenes that way.

There's even more. Though it's hard to spot, the Putty costumes are different between PR and SS, however, I can't tell you what they are from the top of my head.

So, there's more than just that even, it just takes a sharp eye and good observation skills to see it.
Old 11/03/14, 10:48 PM   #5
Dasidreidia
Shadow Ranger

Ummm....DJ, Lord Zedd was a purely American villain to my understanding. I was led to believe he had no Sentai counterpart.
Old 11/03/14, 10:49 PM   #6
Takeo Tom
Shadow Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasidreidia View Post
Ummm....DJ, Lord Zedd was a purely American villain to my understanding. I was led to believe he had no Sentai counterpart.
Ah, I could be wrong, but there's some sort of difference there between when it's just Zedd, and when Rita returns. But, like I said, I could be wrong.
Old 11/03/14, 10:50 PM   #7
Acid_Override_Cool
Shadow Ranger

Wow, I had never noticed that Walter had only four fingers on one hand.

I did notice the significant fighting style differences due to my love of the martial arts. The Sentai Black ranger was a rather formal user of what appeared to be a branch of Karate itself, while Zach...well yeah...

As far as Zedd goes, I am relatively certain myself that he has no Sentai counterpart at all. That footage should be all American. That said, they did frequently use the same footage with different voice tracks in those because it is cheaper.
Old 11/03/14, 10:50 PM   #8
Dasidreidia
Shadow Ranger

When Rita returns, they had her give herself a makeover so that they could give her an actress.
Old 11/03/14, 10:52 PM   #9
Javert
Shadow Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasidreidia View Post
Lord Zedd was a purely American villain to my understanding. I was led to believe he had no Sentai counterpart.
Of course Lord Zedd was purely American, that's why he used Duct Tape to fix his staff. In America, everything can be fixed with duct tape, including the staff of an evil space villain. laugh.gif

In all seriousness, though, that scene always makes me laugh. I mean, you'd that would be a relatively easy fix, but it would have taken some time and they were probably on a tight time schedule.
Old 11/03/14, 10:52 PM   #10
Juselius
Shadow Ranger

This had to have been totally planned as the writers wanted to show the awesome power of duct tape, we were talking with PJ that if he would just change his ninjato to a Swiss army knife and a roll of duct tape he would be completely invincible. tongue.gif
Post New ThreadReply