Power Ranger Online Message Board

Go Back   Power Ranger Online Message Board > Power Rangers Online > General Fandom Discussion

Share This Forum!  

Post New ThreadReply

Old 11/17/14, 11:24 PM   #1
PRangerX
Administrator

Default The Old Ezboard days of the fandom

Archiving the old PRC Message Board has me thinking about the old ezboard days of the fandom.

It was a different time for the fandom. The old Newsgroup was still the hub. This was circa 2000-2001. PRC and PRO both had emerging coolboards. But Coolboards was starting to have server issues. So first PRO moved over. Followed by PRC. Both boards seemed to thrive but PRC really seemed to take off. Which led to the creation of many other smaller ezboards by fans.

This era of the fandom was the equilivant of the wild west. As you can probably see from the PRO and the beginning of the PRC archives, there was a ton of spam and all kinds of fights. PRC Ezboard didn't even have any mods at first. PRO was slightly less chaotic and had mods but there was still some crazyniess. Still their was some good PR topics discussed.

These boards were able to grow quickly since this was the aol age when the internet was growing quickly. All kinds of PR fans would flood in and join. PRO stalled when PRO Founder Mike Wayne went MIA. The PRO site eventually was shut down leaving a just the ezboard. With no admin and only a handful of mods the board slowly began to die out.

In Contrast PRC had gotten so big and Crazy its founder (Ray Calderon) finally put together a mod staff and added numerous forums he was hesitant to add in the beginning. PRC Ezboard was fueled by the PRC Website, which was the number 1 fansite by this point.

There were a few other Ezboards that were of note for a time. One was the NowPlayingBoards. But there were also many other smaller ezboards that never really caught on.

By this point PRC Board had begun to outgrow Ezboard. The fandom itself kinda did, as other message board services were more advanced. Zyuray moved his forum to Vbulletin after PowerAnimals pulled a hacking prank. From their the Vbulletin grew and eventually became the Rangerboard that it is today. Marking the end of the ezboard era for all intents and purposes.

Sure some small ezboards were still around. But even the fans who had free boards had moved on to services like invisionfree or proboards. PRO forum slowly lost all its members. By the time I took over in 2004, ezboard had become and antiquated concept. And I was never able to fully rebuild the ezboard beyond a small group of posters. At this time there were plenty of other Vbulletins like PRN and PRE to compliment Rangerboard.
PRangerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/21/14, 02:25 PM   #2
No Green Spandex
Power Ranger

Default Re: The Old Ezboard days of the fandom

I remember Ezboard. Its amazing that it was what everyone used back then. It was so primitive to what we had now. Is that even still around?
No Green Spandex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/21/14, 04:11 PM   #3
MattEmily
Administrator

ezboard is still around but it's now known as yuku.

They had a big hacking issue at some point which caused them to realize that they needed better security or something like that (it was one of those things where basically every board lost some posts.)

A lot of the older boards however are no longer around because of the hacking that was being done.
MattEmily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/21/14, 04:28 PM   #4
PRangerX
Administrator

They were hacked in 2005. We lost some posts too. Since I didn't import the ezboard until a few years later. It took them awhile but they ended up getting a whole new forum software. For sercurity and the face that they had fallen behind other free forums. Ezboard's set up was behind the times. Other free forums had to more to offer for free. All the ezboards that were left were transfered to Yuku.
Old 12/21/14, 07:34 PM   #5
MattEmily
Administrator

wouldn't surprise me in the least if Poweranimals was the one responsible for it.
Old 12/22/14, 12:04 AM   #6
PRangerX
Administrator

Lol

Nah, it was years after that. Whoever did it knew what they were doing since they did a lot of damage. Ezboard security was weak though.
Old 12/22/14, 05:08 AM   #7
MattEmily
Administrator

hehe had to go there and yea whoever did it certainly knew what they were doing.
Old 12/22/14, 03:14 PM   #8
PRangerX
Administrator

PA was already reformed by then anyway lol
Old 12/22/14, 03:25 PM   #9
MattEmily
Administrator

I highly doubt that since he and joeyteel always went at it.
Old 12/22/14, 05:52 PM   #10
Ranger Green
Putty Patroller

i remember Ezboard but when i was at Ezboard, i often posted in Digimon board where joeyteel was a staff for that board

yeah, i believe it was called Megchan's Digimon Messageboard
Ranger Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New ThreadReply