Power Ranger Online Message Board

Go Back   Power Ranger Online Message Board > Power Rangers Online > Power Rangers General Discussion

Share This Forum!  

Post New ThreadReply

Old 03/30/17, 09:52 PM   #1
Reaper33X
Putty Patroller

Default MMPR Season 1 alternate ending?

Hey everyone,

With the new movie coming out, lots of websites have been posting "did you know..." and "interesting facts" about power Rangers.

One that I keep reading is that they filmed an alternate ending to Season 1 of MMPR, as they weren't sure that it'd be picked up for season 2.

Does this footage exist anywhere? I'm sure a lot of fans would be interested to see it.
Or can anyone confirm how this ending was written?
Reaper33X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/30/17, 10:20 PM   #2
Digifiend
Power Ranger

Default Re: MMPR Season 1 alternate ending?

Show would've ended at Doomsday (ep 40) and would've featured a senior prom and Rita and her goons getting sealed up.
Digifiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/30/17, 10:32 PM   #3
kainhighwind2
Putty Patroller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
Show would've ended at Doomsday (ep 40) and would've featured a senior prom and Rita and her goons getting sealed up.
Pretty much. We saw about 80% of what it would have been in Doomsday.
kainhighwind2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/31/17, 12:52 AM   #4
SirStack
Putty Patroller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper33X View Post
Does this footage exist anywhere? I'm sure a lot of fans would be interested to see it.
Or can anyone confirm how this ending was written?
The "senior prom and Rita's son Bubba" ending to Doomsday may not have been filmed, but it was indeed written. Sadly, we've yet to see any script form of it. However, the earliest script of "Doomsday, Part II" we do have does involve Rita getting sealed away: http://sirstack.livejournal.com/5629.html
SirStack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/31/17, 03:30 AM   #5
big smile
Putty Patroller

Didn't Paul Schrier say that Machiko Soga was flown over to the US to film her bits of the original ending?
big smile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/31/17, 07:58 AM   #6
Ataruman
Putty Patroller

Pretty much what was said. The original Zyu plot of Bandora's son being revived and manipulated by Dai-Satan would have been kept leading to her resealing. My only real thought: considering Lokar was considered a minion of Rita and not the other way around, I do wonder how they would have done it...or if Lokar would have just remained a Goldgoyle-esque "my most powerful monster" without making him the boss.
Ataruman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/03/17, 08:05 PM   #7
RitoRevolto
Putty Patroller

Quote:
Originally Posted by big smile View Post
Didn't Paul Schrier say that Machiko Soga was flown over to the US to film her bits of the original ending?
I don't know about that. All I know is that Saban did pay Toei for original footage of Rita and her crew in the palace (not to be confused with Zyu2, which came later). This footage was used as early as Day of the Dumpster.
RitoRevolto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/03/17, 08:05 PM   #8
WatcherMark
Putty Patroller

"But she could not wrap her mouth around the dialogue"

Which is weird, because she does a pretty good job in the "Magic Wand, Make My Monster Grow!" shot from Zyu1.5.
WatcherMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/03/17, 08:05 PM   #9
monkeyjb1988
Putty Patroller

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatcherMark View Post
"But she could not wrap her mouth around the dialogue"

Which is weird, because she does a pretty good job in the "Magic Wand, Make My Monster Grow!" shot from Zyu1.5.
That was one line. Maybe she had trouble doing the monologue she likely would've gotten for a series finale... if it's true, but I don't see why Paul Schrier would lie about it or why someone would specifically tell him it's "the Japanese lady" when it's not. If there are films or photos, I would LOVE to see them. That would be 20 kinds of awesome.

As per the footage of Rita and company paid for by Saban, it does exist. There's a guide on grnrngr.com with clips culled from the episodes (called Zyu1.5) that came from the same place as Zyu2 footage: Not from Zyuranger.

https://www.grnrngr.com/zyu1.5/

Even without the site and judging from the quality of the footage, I would've at least guessed that the talking Goldar scenes were American made (as opposed to just American paid for as Zyu1.5). Also, he's only seen on the balcony against a wall in all those scenes. It definitely looks like its from Bandora's palace but definitely what you'd expect from a low budget show that can use footage from another show.
monkeyjb1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/03/17, 08:05 PM   #10
Ataruman
Putty Patroller

Having finally reached "Doomsday" in my own watch, I can make a couple more comments. First, it is obvious the Goldar footage is probably more or less refilmed since so much of it is clean compared to the grainier Zyuranger footage. Most of it is just Goldar doing his "WWE boasting" and boosting his character (since he was much lazier in Zyu), but it includes things such as introducing the Green Candle compared to how it was in Zyu. (since here it was Rita's and there was no Clotho)

As for the prom idea, I think the closest I can see that it exists potentially is the whole sub-plot of "The Green Candle". They seem to make a big deal about this dance coming up and that the arc ends with Tommy and Kim finally getting together as a couple without the dance happening. It seems to success the prom could have happened in the story, but they instead end up changing it later to "Power Rangers Day" for the "Doomsday" storyline. It worked (since I do admit that having a day celebrating the Power Rangers works as a good season finale or to end the story), but it does make me wonder where the prom/dance arc went...and if they had to change it because too much of it relied on the footage of "Bubba" (the name they were going to use for Kai if they used him for Cyclopsis as opposed to Goldar). I also wonder if any of the other episodes pre-Doomsday would have likewise built up to the prom...which I doubt but mostly since that would have included a few ending-story episodes that would probably make no sense with this plot. (as bad as "Clean-Up Club" was in some way, that was an end-game Zyu story and probably one of the few they could make work compared to others)
Ataruman is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New ThreadReply