View Single Post
Old 12/30/06, 05:01 AM   #9
christphern
Ranger In Training

Send a message via AIM to christphern
Default RE: How do you describe Sailor Venus?

Yeah, that's about what happened in the sub, too. She was an awesome, strong character in season 1, all serious and brooding with a lot of emotional depth and many different facets to her personality. Then, in R, she became a ditz, and stereotypical blonde. In season 1 she expressed romantic interest in one person, and it was in a serious, grown up, and mature way. It wasn't some schoolgirl crush. She genuinely seemed to love the guy. In the later seasons, that relationship was often used mockingly, or as the source of jokes, to the point of making it seem as though she was just reflecting on the latest crush of the week. It also didn't help that the dub completely removed the whole bloody episode.

That episode was essential to understanding season 1 Minako, and they threw it out. The only reason I can remotely think of is that they were worried about showing a relationship between a young teenage girl and a college age guy. Oh...wait...never mind.

Don't get me wrong, I love the R on version of Minako, too. She was such an enjoyable character, often lending a lot to the comedy of the series. But her season 1 persona was definitely the better character.

Chris
christphern is offline   Reply With Quote