View Single Post
Old 12/21/06, 06:20 PM   #2
christphern
Ranger In Training

Send a message via AIM to christphern
Default RE: How do you describe Sailor Venus?

I'm honoured to be thought of as the resident Sailor Venus expert. Thanks, Primo.

I guess it really depends on which Venus you're referring to.

I'm not terribly familiar with the manga, sadly, as I haven't had the opportunity to read it yet, aside from Codename wa Sailor V. (hint to anyone who may have it, or know where to get it, it'd be appreciated if it were posted in the new Download forum) However, going by the Sailor V manga, I'd describe her as ditzy, klutzy, erratic, impulsive, but loyal, determined, and a born leader.

Now, there's anime season 1, which presented a different Venus than the manga. Minako was serious, brooding, and focused. She kept some of her lightheartedness, but not near as much as the later seasons. She wasn't so impulsive, and instead thought through the situations before leaping into the fray. She was a good friend to the other senshi, though often a bit too focused. Though not near as much as PGSM Venus. She was also more leader material than the other Minakos (?) in the anime and manga, not to mention the most mature of the senshi to that point. This Venus also appeared in each of the movies, or, at least the R movie, where she took charge in the battles without hesitation, which she didn't do often, if at all, in R. She was also more mature than R's Minako.

Season R through, I believe, StarS, portrayed a Minako more akin to the manga version. The differences were few from what I've seen of the manga. She was ditzy, impulsive, erratic, impulsive, and most definitely immature. Not to mention one heck of a klutz (Venus Minako's Nurse Mayhem, anyone?) She was also determined and loyal, though she now lacked the leadership qualities that the previous iterations of Minako had. My personal opinion on the reason behind this was to emphasize Sailor Moon's leadership position in the anime, whereas she wasn't the leader in the manga or live action series.

The Live Action series Minako was more akin to the anime season 1 Minako, than any other. She contained the leadership qualities you would expect of any leader. She took command of situations, delegating orders, strategizing, and looking out for her fellow senshi. She wasn't what I would describe as impulsive, though blind to anything that didn't fit in her "deal with the past life" mentality she forced upon herself when finding out about her illness, and her being a senshi. She let the lightheartedness of the other Minakos show on occasion, particularly when dealing with Rei and Artemis.

If you're writing a fanfic, you can either pick one of these, or do what I'm doing, and attempt to logically merge all of them together. If it's a long fanfic, spanning several years, you can explain the reasons for each change, and eventually settle upon your personality of choice, or merge them all together into one Minako personality. Or merge them together and use the different aspects of Minako for specific situations. Ie, certain situations cause her to react more like one version of Minako over another.

However, if you weren't looking for something quite so long winded, impulsive does pretty much apply for most of the iterations of Minako.

Personally, I'm a fan of all the Minakos. I like each one for different reasons. Season 1 and the live action Minakos I like for their emotional depth, as well as depth of character. The other Minakos I like because she's adorable. She always tries to do the right thing, and help people, but often causes more harm than she does help them. Leads to a lot of comedy.

Chris
christphern is offline   Reply With Quote