View Single Post
Old 01/11/15, 04:40 PM   #1
rycor
Putty Patroller

Default The Fickleness of Zeo

Does anyone ever get annoyed in watching Power Rangers Zeo because of how fickle it is? Nothing is ever a 'big deal' or acted on, and every problem that arises either sorts itself out or is ignored. They do so much misdirection, (the who is the gold ranger saga being a prime example) that you can't really trust the show you're watching. They lie consistently, and the continuity is threadbare, maybe because of bad writing?

The examples I'm thinking of begin in episode 1. At the end of MMPR, the command centre blew up and Tommy gravely declared something like they weren't Power Rangers anymore. At the time, this was big! But then promptly in Zeo episode 1, they don't even have to go on a ninja quest or work for it (technically they did all that during Alien Rangers) as the CC just starts to rebuild itself! This seemed so cheap and disappointing, and the rangers were basically just passengers in the whole thing.

At the end of that episode, Alpha is the next to gravely declare something like "oh Rangers, I'm so sorry..." when they ask how Zordon is.
Episode 2, they literally have a different interpretation of the line and tone when the Rangers ask Alpha the question. "Zordon's fine!" Again, it was such a weird moment and even as a kid I couldn't understand why that had happened. I couldn't put that together in my head back then, and I still can't now!

Then there was the time Tommy was brainwashed by King Mondo - this seemed like a big deal at the time, and comparatively it did take a bit of a battle to be resolved, but it didn't seem to get the resolution it warranted.

Finally, there's the season finale, which is so lacklustre (as most MMPR finales were) that only the closing moments where Zedd and Rita finally get their own back on the machines and vow to stop the Power Rangers had any enjoyment.

But then, as was the case with most of Zeo, that's never mentioned again in Turbo and doesn't happen either.

Does anyone else feel the same about Zeo and can think of other annoying things they did?
rycor is offline   Reply With Quote