View Single Post
Old 02/16/08, 04:37 AM   #8
christphern
Ranger In Training

Send a message via AIM to christphern

From one standpoint, yeah, I'd agree, the actual introduction of the senshi isn't really necessary. But, at the same time, I think something would be lost to not have the team assembled within the film. Sure, the stories aren't necessary. Perfectly agree there. But, if you do it with the Senshi already together, you might give your audience the impression that the senshi are a well-oiled machine, and Usagi's the wrench that gets tossed into the gears, if that makes any sense. It would give the impression that Usagi's not really a part of the team, or, an outsider, if you will. It's sort of difficult to try and find a balance between what would work best for a film, and what would stay the most true to the series.

I figured that, since the actual stories aren't necessary for the senshi (notice, even though I'm a big Venus fan, I would have opted to drop her origin from a movie) they could be compressed into a montage sequence, fit in some time after Usagi becomes Sailor Moon, and before things heat up with Beryl and the Shitennou. The biggest issue I'm seeing with the movie is, how the heck do you seriously introduce Mamoru/Tuxedo Kamen in the film, without it seeming out of place? I mean, If there was more time to elaborate on Usagi and Mamoru's relationship in the movie, then, okay, that could be done just fine. But, short of writing out the other senshi as anything more than token background characters, there's no way to give Mamoru and Usagi's relationship the proper development without it just being absurd. The only way to make it happen and work would be to introduce Tuxedo Kamen/Mamoru and have Usagi just fall in love with him. Pretty much what happened in the anime, but there wouldn't be much time to expand on the relationship. Add to that that most of the already minimized character development would have to be dropped to accomodated, and a lot of the backstory with the Silver Millenium would have to be dropped. The big problem there is that people would complain that it's not staying true enough to the series, or it's not doing the relationship or series justice no matter how you go.

I will admit this, though. There's not really enough time in one 2 hour movie to cover enough of Sailor Moon Classic to do it justice. The only way to do it, and actually fit enough to make it work the best is as 2 movies. Otherwise, there's always going to be something missing, or lost in translaation, as it were.

As for the dub, yeah, sure, it exposed us to Sailor Moon. Not going to deny that. But, that doesn't mean it should be honoured or respected in anyway, movie or not. The only thing the dub gave us, as far as I'm concerned, is a better appreciation for the sub. I don't even care for the music. I'm sorry if that seems harsh, but, well, I've never cared for the dub, and I've cared for it even less since getting the sub from ADV. There's just no comparison. The dub is Sailor Moon-lite. It's the watered down version, with the annoying music and voices, and bad scripting. I find no redeeming quality in the dub. If you do, that's fine. But, my stance on the dub is that I now have the sub, and never have to subject myself to the dub again. However, in the interest of forum relations, I will say something positive of the dub. I could actually tolerate Mina's (*shudder*) voice. Pretty much every actress. Not sure if that's just rose coloured glasses, as Minako's by far my favourite Sailor Moon character in every incarnation, but, there you go.

*Edit* Ooh, had a thought. For Mamoru, the best way I think to approach it, if the film were to be approached as a one shot, one film deal, is to introduce the character, but not really develop Usagi and Mamoru's relationship outside of some obvious attraction and caring. Reason being that it doesn't seriously compress the relationship, but, also leaves some expanding room should another film be done. Maybe leave the ending with the two characters meeting again after there memories have been wiped, and have them maybe date, or just interact. Whatever. Director's license at that point.

Chris
christphern is offline   Reply With Quote