Power Ranger Online Message Board

Power Ranger Online Message Board (powerrangersonline.com/index.php)
-   Power Rangers General Discussion (powerrangersonline.com/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Movie Box Office Performance No Spoilers (powerrangersonline.com/showthread.php?t=7822)

PRangerX 03/28/17 03:51 PM

Movie Box Office Performance No Spoilers

Well as many know by know Power Rangers earned 40 million at the box office this week. Which was on the high end of projections. A lot of websites like Box Office Mojo are saying that this was a pretty solid debut givening the budget and expectations. The forecast for its debut was 30 million. A big sign will be how it holds up in the second week. If it can maintain a lot of its audience it should have a successful box office run .

Knights of Ren 03/28/17 03:51 PM

Re: Movie Box Office Performance No Spoilers

I just hope it does well enough so we get a sequel.

Zeo Mega 03/28/17 03:52 PM

Damn I was hoping it would be a juggernaut like Transformers. Oh well...

KimandTommy 03/28/17 03:59 PM

It would have done better without certain scenes that those of you who follow the spoiler thread will know about.

Captain Mutiny 03/28/17 04:00 PM

Not really those scenes weren't major parts of the movie. And weren't heavily promoted. So I doubt they had anything to do with the audience.

PRangerX 03/28/17 04:05 PM

I don't think this movie was ever going to do transformers like numbers. At one point I was worried it would flip. That doesn't look to be the case. The numbers so far may seem low compared to other superhero movies but they are actually pretty positive. This is uncharted waters for PR. It sounds like Lionsgate know they were only gonna get a mild hit. And are content to build the franchise up from there.

To a lot of people PR is just a kids show and they probably didn't realize that this movie was for everyone. That will slowly change as the young kids get older. They smartly kept the budget down to medium levels which makes it easier to profit. If the movie has a good second week I think it will have enough legs to inspire a sequel.

Captain Codfish 03/28/17 04:08 PM

Yes, they clearly went with for a single or a double instead of a home run. Where they could have risked swinging and missing. The story was well done and audiences seem to like it. So if the audience holds up enough this could help in the possible sequel.

Decepticon 03/28/17 04:09 PM

Transformers had longer and was more of a place in gen x kids lives. So expecting PR to do the same isn't fair right now. Its closer to Ninja Turtles anyway.

Yellow Fan Forever 03/28/17 04:13 PM

This very much reminds me of the original turtles movies during the franchises early run. Where it was a movie that had more story than non fans would have expected and did reasonably well.

Comparing it to the first Michael Bay's Box Office Performance is also a good comparison.

Movie Ranger 04/01/17 11:00 AM

It sucks that the movie is probably only going to make the 14 million range. I was hoping for 20.

Gosei Great 04/01/17 11:07 AM

I really wanted a sequel so I am disappointed.

PRangerX 04/02/17 01:43 PM

Box Office Mojo says the film is going to end up grossing 14 million domestic this weekend which is a 60 percent drop from opening week. Its not a good number and won't help its sequel chances. But they did add 8 million in international gross and open in lot of new international markets next weekend.

Massive Ego 04/02/17 01:44 PM

Its sad that such a good movie took such a big hit. I wish they grossed even more than first week to make a sequel more likely.

PRangerX 04/03/17 12:51 PM

It was actually a 64 percent drop.

Carnisoar 04/03/17 12:52 PM

This is real unfortunate. I wish the movie was doing better.

Ninja Encounter 04/05/17 12:12 PM

I think the movie will do better if they add Rocky, Adam, and Aisha. They are more recognizable than Jason, Zack,and Trini.

PRangerX 04/06/17 09:30 PM

Box Office Mojo is predicting a 6.8 million domestic gross for this weekend. Sounds like its ending its theatrical run. Not the box office legs I wanted for he movie but far from a disaster. Lets hope international numbers perk up.

Bandora's Ghost 04/08/17 10:31 PM

It was. actually a decent movie. It really deserved to do better.

Saban Fan 04/10/17 05:41 PM

I think Saban will take total control of the franchise and make sure it is dome right. Just like he does with the show.

Super Troopers 04/10/17 05:46 PM

I haven't watched the show since I was a kid and I enjoyed the movie. A lot of people in my theater seemed to be old fans like me that enjoyed the movie. I am surprised it didn't do better. I hope their is a sequel.

yellowrangermovielover3 04/12/17 09:22 AM

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/...rrangers16.htm

good or bad for sequel???

PRangerX 04/12/17 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yellowrangermovielover3 (Post 65563)

I would say the movie did okay to good. It had a solid opening weekend. The big negative is how quickly it dropped to week 2. But its far from a flop. With a lower budget expectations were also lower. I would say its on the bubble as to whether we have a sequel. I think Saban Brands and Lionsgate would like to make this work. Based on merchandise potential and the brand itself, I think there is a decent chance we get a sequel. The first week shows there is a potential audience for this sort of movie.

Titanium Black 04/12/17 08:09 PM

Were not getting a sequel. Sorry this is going to go down as a slightly disappointing performance. Saban Brands will be probably have to look for a new partner that will want to do their own thing. Probably with a release date five years from now.

Goldar's Revenge 04/12/17 08:14 PM

I question whether Lionsgate wants anything to do with this franchise after the way the promotions was done. Plus the disinterest them seemed to have with the production design. The movie. was lot better then I thought. The creative team clearly cares but after the way this thing dropped...I see Lionsgate pulling the plug. At best we will get a soft reboot with a new studio.

Superstatler 04/12/17 08:16 PM

Actually this was a low risk investment. The movie did fairly well and I see them going for a sequel. That will probably be another low risk investment.

Bratty Katty 05/12/17 08:13 AM

The Movie was a lot better than I thought. It was a decent movie. I would like to see a sequel but don't think it did well enough..

Bandai Guy 05/19/17 07:56 PM

If a sequel is made Saban Brands needs to beg Bandai to make them better designs.

Dic Dubber 06/21/17 09:43 PM

it wasn't enough like the original series.

Sentai Is Forever 07/03/17 01:17 PM

It wasn't enough like the Sentai.

Rossovan 08/30/17 08:32 AM

The movie was good in parts and i've watched it a few more times since the DVD came out, obviously the issue was it took ages for anything to happen as they had to develop the characters, etc and a lot of audiences just wanted Power Rangers to be morphed and doing what they do.

I think they'll try and get a sequel out and leave it there (unless it does amazingly well) just to wrap up the story a bit but that could take time, especially if Lionsgate aren't keen.

PRangerX 08/30/17 07:47 PM

If they spent too much money on special effects it might have put the movie heavy in the red. Its tough to say if more action scenes would have helped the box office numbers or even quality of the overall story.