Power Ranger Online Message Board

Power Ranger Online Message Board (powerrangersonline.com/index.php)
-   Power Rangers General Discussion (powerrangersonline.com/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Gluto was wasted (powerrangersonline.com/showthread.php?t=6336)

Sentai Is Forever 01/28/15 08:38 PM

Gluto was wasted

I think Gluto was wasted in Time Force. In the Sentai his counterpart was the main villain. Yet they treat him like comic relief here. For a season that stayed close to.the Sentai its odd they changed so much with Gluto.

The Ghost Ranger 01/28/15 10:21 PM

Re: Gluto was wasted

I think sometimes they change the villains for budgetary or writing reasons. Example: Goldgoyle was the main big bad in CarRanger right? I think he was, correct me if I am wrong. Anyways, they probably made Divatox for story purposes; maybe the audience wouldn't be able to Goldgoyle's sentai part or find it too creepy or something.

Maybe that was the reason they made Ransik the big bad in Time Force. Gluto's apperance was too comical to be accepted as the head honcho or the audience wouldnt find him all that scary/interesting.

PRangerX 01/28/15 11:05 PM

I think you are right about Goldgoyal. He wasn't around all season but he was the final villain I believe.

I agree with Gluto. He looked to comical. Plus they were really big on american made lead villains at the time. I think Ransik was a smart addition. I liked the way they did it. You already had Frax as a second serious villain anyway.

MattEmily 01/28/15 11:05 PM

Goldgoyle was indeed the "Dark Specter" type villain in Carranger.
Divatox was made partially for story purposes but also because they were going to need someone to replace Zonnette anyway since she was a human villain in Carranger.

I think part of the reason with not using Goldgoyle as the main villain is because it's possible either they were having issues with his suit or they hadn't gotten it yet. Keep in mind that Power Rangers uses the same villain suits that Toei does so every thing they do depends on how well of a condition they keep their suits in and whether they have them shipped to them in time.

I think The Ghost Ranger makes a good point that Gluto's toad appearance was a bit too comical but I think another reason is because he spent a few scenes smoking a lot of cigars.

Sailor Danger 01/28/15 11:06 PM

I would have had Gluto as a B villain that wasn't connected to Ransik. He would have been more serious than he was.

Lightspeed Zeo 02/05/15 11:56 AM

They should have just had Gluto be a monster of the day or not in it at all. He didn't do much.

MattEmily 02/05/15 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lightspeed Zeo (Post 51663)
They should have just had Gluto be a monster of the day or not in it at all. He didn't do much.

I agree but maybe they wanted him to be in more scenes just as a comic relief villain.

I'm not saying this is true or not but it's entirely possible that they had to pay more to either rent or buy his suit because of his counterpart being "The Big Boss" in TimeRanger.

Captain Codfish 02/09/15 10:47 PM

I don't see any problem with Gluto. Like Matt said they may have had to pay good rent for him. And really he didn't hurt anything as comic relief. He was just a side villain. I am glad they went with Ransik as the big bad though.

Usagi Reborn 02/09/15 10:50 PM

Gluto sucked. So glad they didn't make him the main villain. Time Force would have had no credebility. I liked Ransik. Too bad they rushed his turn at the end. It seemed out of left field and was somewhat anticlimatic. Thankfully, the WF team up fixed that.

Terra Venture 02/11/15 01:10 AM

I just don't think it was a big deal. PR has always had comedic or secondary henchman. Gluto was fine and didn't hurt anything. If they had the suit why not use it. I give the credit for focusing on Ransik and Frax.