Power Ranger Online Message Board

Power Ranger Online Message Board (powerrangersonline.com/index.php)
-   Power Rangers General Discussion (powerrangersonline.com/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   The Fickleness of Zeo (powerrangersonline.com/showthread.php?t=6283)

rycor 01/11/15 04:40 PM

The Fickleness of Zeo

Does anyone ever get annoyed in watching Power Rangers Zeo because of how fickle it is? Nothing is ever a 'big deal' or acted on, and every problem that arises either sorts itself out or is ignored. They do so much misdirection, (the who is the gold ranger saga being a prime example) that you can't really trust the show you're watching. They lie consistently, and the continuity is threadbare, maybe because of bad writing?

The examples I'm thinking of begin in episode 1. At the end of MMPR, the command centre blew up and Tommy gravely declared something like they weren't Power Rangers anymore. At the time, this was big! But then promptly in Zeo episode 1, they don't even have to go on a ninja quest or work for it (technically they did all that during Alien Rangers) as the CC just starts to rebuild itself! This seemed so cheap and disappointing, and the rangers were basically just passengers in the whole thing.

At the end of that episode, Alpha is the next to gravely declare something like "oh Rangers, I'm so sorry..." when they ask how Zordon is.
Episode 2, they literally have a different interpretation of the line and tone when the Rangers ask Alpha the question. "Zordon's fine!" Again, it was such a weird moment and even as a kid I couldn't understand why that had happened. I couldn't put that together in my head back then, and I still can't now!

Then there was the time Tommy was brainwashed by King Mondo - this seemed like a big deal at the time, and comparatively it did take a bit of a battle to be resolved, but it didn't seem to get the resolution it warranted.

Finally, there's the season finale, which is so lacklustre (as most MMPR finales were) that only the closing moments where Zedd and Rita finally get their own back on the machines and vow to stop the Power Rangers had any enjoyment.

But then, as was the case with most of Zeo, that's never mentioned again in Turbo and doesn't happen either.

Does anyone else feel the same about Zeo and can think of other annoying things they did?

project321 01/11/15 04:42 PM

Re: The Fickleness of Zeo

I just finished rewatching Zeo at the end of last year, and one thing that got to me was how many episodes there were where we'd be focused on specific characters, leaving others almost entirely out of it except for when it came to fighting the monster of the day or for a scene in the Power Chamber.

Before Zeo, I really got the sense of a team, of a group of friends who often did things together. In this particular season, not so much.

Maybe the fact that fights against the Cogs were pretty much always morphed didn't help matters for me.

PRangerX 01/12/15 01:23 PM

I liked Zeo. But I'd argue that it is a bit overrated. MMPR Season 3 had a more interesting story arch.

big smile 01/12/15 02:14 PM

In Season 3, the Rangers were always facing impossible challenges, so after that and the menace of Master Ville, Zeo was a huge disappointment.

Things picked up with the Gold Ranger saga. With the return of Rita and Zedd, plus villains like Gasket, the Rangers were on their toes again. But then just as it started getting interested, it ended, that too with a particularly weak finale.

Captain Codfish 01/12/15 02:32 PM

Zeo was good for its time period. There did seem to be an attempt to be more realistic in terms of character. Season 3 may have had more twists. But Zeo still had some good twists im the second half. I think people liked it because it was different. Plus they spent most of some season 3 building up to it. Things really went down hill in Turbo.

Kilobyte 01/12/15 02:34 PM

Wasn't Zeo one of the most successful seasons ever?

PRangerX 01/12/15 02:38 PM

Actually it flopped in terms of toy sales and ratings. Thats why they didn't really carry a lot of the plotlines left open in the Zeo finalie to the Turbo Movie.

But in terms of the fandom it usually is a fan favorite. Keep in mind flopping doesn't mean something was bad.

Summer Is Rich 01/14/15 04:36 PM

Zeo was one of my favorite seasons. It was just so awesome. Zeo was new and different. The Rangers acted more like real people. It was time for new suits and zords. The Zeo season diffinitly delivered. The second half was even better when Jason came back. My only problem is some of the plotholes in the finalie.

MMPR Forever 01/15/15 11:40 PM

I hated the switch to Zeo. It was just too soon to get rid of MMPR. They should have just used the mecha from the new Sentai and kept the MMPR powers. Just like they always had done up until that point.

Inner Senshi 01/15/15 11:42 PM

Zeo was a great season. It really was fun and exciting. I liked how the Rangers got their powers from the Zeo Crystal. It was cool to see Tommy as Red like most leaders are. Rocky was funny as Blue. Jason was cool as gold. The Machines were a nice change of pace for villains. It was cool seeing Zedd and Rita try and take back their power though. I liked Bulk and Skull as detectives. I wish they did more with Tommy and his brother. It seemed like David was going to have a bigger role at first.