Power Ranger Online Message Board

Power Ranger Online Message Board (powerrangersonline.com/index.php)
-   Power Rangers General Discussion (powerrangersonline.com/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   What are your thoughts on Katherine Hillard? (powerrangersonline.com/showthread.php?t=8888)

Power Red 05/24/20 09:58 AM

What are your thoughts on Katherine Hillard?

I thought it would be nice to have a thread about Kat. She was always an interesting character to me. She really made season 3 interesting. The spy arch was pretty cool and kept us guessing. Then she became a strong ally to the Rangers. The way she tricked Rita into letting her escape was a cool momment. Its not surprising Kim chose Kat as her replacement. Then we got to see her overcome her fears.

In Zeo she was a very confident Ranger. The way she stood up to that bulldozer monster with a broken ankle was really cool. She was also the one that was able to reach Tommy when he had amnesia.

I know people want Tommy and Kim to be together...But I really liked Tommy and Kat as a couple too.

What do you guys think?

Piccolo Diamond 05/24/20 09:59 AM

Re: What are your thoughts on Katherine Hillard?

Kat was an easy character to route for and well writing. The double agent storyline made season 3 exciting. Kat turned out to be a strong willed Ranger. Even when she was a little scared at first. She was the one that convinced Kimberly to go back to gymnastics by conquering her own fear of diving. Recovering the Pink Power Coin is another example. When she saved Tommy from Gasket she bravely got him to lower his weapon unmorphed.

The only negative I can think of is how they constantly had her get hurt and a few times where she seemed there for Tommy to her hero. But it didn't happen enough to ruin her character.

Maiden Ranger 05/24/20 10:01 AM

The problem with Kat was after MMPR. In Zeo and Turbo she was too much of a damsel in distress. It was like she was just there to be rescued by Tommy Oliver. Thats why that relationship annoyed me back then. I also thought it was weird she was suddenly into dancing with her past as a swimmer just dropped. In Turbo, she was basically just Justin 's big sister and her substitute teacher role went no where. The idea she could finish high school and go right into teaching was silly. There is so much that they have done better with Kat. Its a shane because her introduction was really awesome.

Piccolo Diamond 05/24/20 10:03 AM

They did plenty with Kat in Zeo. She mentored Tanya when she joined the team. She put her own feelings for Tommy on hold to help him try and win back Heather. She bravely de-morphed in front of the brainwashed Tommy and convinced him the Rangers were his true friends. In Turbo she was the one to convince Jenny to stop acting like a brat.

I don't think its weird that she did Dance in Zeo. She never said she was going back to diving. She just was trying to help Kim not make the same mistake she did. She confronted her own fears to convince Kim she could go back to gymnastics. She didn't need to actually focus on diving. And there is no reason she couldn't have been into dance too. Catherine Sutherland really had a dancing background. Plus the Kat character probably learned ballet to help with her swimming.

KimandTommy 05/24/20 10:51 AM

I thought she was a terrible character. A Power Ranger should never be a villain. Plus she took Tommy away from his true love,.Kimberly. The only way to save her character was to have her show her true colors and joined the other villains for good. But they never did that. I never understood how Zordon, Tommy, and the others never realized Kat was evil.

The "Swimming lesson" was just a trick to get Kim to leave so she could have the Pink Power coin and Tommy all to herself

Kimberly Cares 05/24/20 10:52 AM

I do wonder why Kim never came back in canon. Zordon mentioned she would be a stronger Ranger by pursuing her dreams in the Pan Am Games.

Piccolo Diamond 05/24/20 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kimberly Cares (Post 77389)
I do wonder why Kim never came back in canon. Zordon mentioned she would be a stronger Ranger by pursuing her dreams in the Pan Am Games.

The comics did address this. Its too bad we never saw Kim return on the show though. Not as a Ranger anyway, the Turbo Movie was still a cool appearance. I just wish she interacted with the Rangers more.

Power Morphers 05/24/20 11:29 AM

In Ranger Slayer right?

Piccolo Diamond 05/24/20 11:30 AM

Not talking about Ranger Slayer. She is an alternate version of Kimberly. The original Kimberly had a small arch in the comics when she returned as Pink Ranger one more time.

Overdrive Omega 05/24/20 11:35 AM

I didn't understand why Kat didn't have more of a grudge against Rita?That storyline should have been worked into the end of MMPR.

Piccolo Diamond 05/24/20 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overdrive Omega (Post 77395)
I didn't understand why Kat didn't have more of a grudge against Rita?That storyline should have been worked into the end of MMPR

There wasn't enough time. There was too much going on in the end of MMPR and nor enough episode. They at least did the moment where she pretended to join Rita so Tommy got could find the Zeo Crystal. Where Rita and Zedd almost made her evil for good. So they didn't just forget about it. By Zeo she had already moved on. But they did have that one scene where Rits tried to put her under a spell again.

Kat Oliver 05/24/20 05:51 PM

She was the best Pink Ranger. It was cool how she had to overcome the guilt of what she did while under Rita's spell..We got to see her grow as a Ranger and become brave.

Usagi Reborn 05/24/20 05:53 PM

She was an incredibly strong character and really more or a match for Tommy then Kimberly. She is Tommy's Mary Jane. Whereas Kim was his Gwen Stacy, without her tragic death.

Kimberly Cares 05/24/20 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrimoPiccolo (Post 77393)
Not Ranger Slayer, Kimberly actually came back for one more mission in the MMPR: Pink limited.

I wish something like that could have happened on screen.

Rita's Pita 05/24/20 05:55 PM

I liked her just fine, but she wasn't as good as Kimberly.

Wild Force Megazord 05/24/20 05:59 PM

The Boom stuff is whack, I don't consider them canon.

Morphing Legacy 05/24/20 06:34 PM

I liked that Kat wasn't a carbon copy of Kimberly. And was even an antagonist of hers for a time. They were both great Rangers though.

Mistress Rita 05/24/20 06:38 PM

I wish the Dark Kat Storyline would have gone on longer. Perhaps it would have if Kimberly had stayed. I think there were a lot of ways they could go. I would have had Kat be working for Rita on her own though, you could redeem her later if you wanted to.

MattEmily 05/24/20 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KimandTommy (Post 77388)
I thought she was a terrible character. A Power Ranger should never be a villain. Plus she took Tommy away from his true love,.Kimberly. The only way to save her character was to have her show her true colors and joined the other villains for good. But they never did that. I never understood how Zordon, Tommy, and the others never realized Kat was evil.

The "Swimming lesson" was just a trick to get Kim to leave so she could have the Pink Power coin and Tommy all to herself

Please that now tops your dumbest statement ever. The offer was not an evil plan especially since it had nothing to do with swimming. Kimberly was offered a chance to represent the country as a gymnast for Pan Global. Kat was a diver that had already represented Australia in previous games but ended up failing.
Get your facts straight and if your precious God was so wonderful then she would have never left in the first place no matter what the offer was but you could never hate on her because you mistakenly believe that Kat did her in when she didn’t.
Who left? Kimberly
Who made the decision? Kimberly
Hate on her if you hate her leaving so much because it was and will always be her call no matter how high of a pedestal you put her on, no one else made that decision for her except HER

Blame her
Attack her
Hate on her

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kimberly Cares (Post 77389)

By the time she first came back the coins were out of commission and I like to think that she technically came back in the Legendary Battle

Massive Ego 05/24/20 11:36 PM

Don't get me started on that mess (Legendary Battle).

Usagi Reborn 05/24/20 11:42 PM

Honestly how much more could they do with Kim? She had one or the longest runs and had her character development. Tommy and Kim were happy together and the only obstacle left was the loss of her powers. But that was written in to lead to her exit and was resolved.

Kat was an awesome character. She went from a pawn to evil to a reluctant Ranger...To a confident young women capable of leading the team if necessary.

Kimberly Cares 05/26/20 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Usagi Reborn (Post 77468)
Honestly how much more could they do with Kim? She had one or the longest runs and had her character development. Tommy and Kim were happy together and the only obstacle left was the loss of her powers. But that was written in to lead to her exit and was resolved.

Kat was an awesome character. She went from a pawn to evil to a reluctant Ranger...To a confident young women capable of leading the team if necessary.

There was plenty more to do with Kim. She would have become Tommy's second in command I think. I thought you would have seen take more of a center role and save the day. The Power Loss Storyline would have gone on longer. She would have been like the Sixth Ranger of Season 3. Then in Zeo she could have become Red Ranger. Tommy would have kept his White Ranger Powers until switching to Gold.

Maiden Ranger 05/26/20 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kimberly Cares (Post 77489)
There was plenty more to do with Kim. She would have become Tommy's second in command I think. I thought you would have seen take more of a center role and save the day. The Power Loss Storyline would have gone on longer. She would have been like the Sixth Ranger of Season 3. Then in Zeo she could have become Red Ranger. Tommy would have kept his White Ranger Powers until switching to Gold.

That would have been interesting. I would have liked to have seen the older Rangers go on and see there adventures in college.

PRangerX 05/26/20 12:18 PM

I actually assumed that was where they were going in Turbo when they graduated. I was surprised they went right into the workforce. But in some cases it was more or a Summer job thing.

Captain Codfish 05/26/20 12:20 PM

It is interesting to wonder what would have happened if JDF stayed on longer. They probably would have kept the others around with him. Even with the management changes to come We will never know fully what would have happened if Levy and Sloane stayed in charge past the beginning of Turbo.

Ninja Lord 05/26/20 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Codfish (Post 77492)
It is interesting to wonder what would have happened if JDF stayed on longer. They probably would have kept the others around with him. Even with the management changes to come We will never know fully what would have happened if Levy and Sloane stayed in charge past the beginning of Turbo.

Levy was still in charge through Time Force.

Goldar's Revenge 05/26/20 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninja Lord (Post 77493)
Levy was still in charge through Time Force.

Codfish is right. Levy remains an exec for as long as you said, but midway through Turbo is Showrunner duties shifted to Tzachor. At that point PR was a rare series where one of the Executive Producers that weren't the showrunner.

Power Red 05/26/20 12:27 PM

I don't think they wanted to do a show based around college students.

Piccolo Diamond 05/26/20 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Power Red (Post 77495)
I don't think they wanted to do a show based around college students.

Its funny if thats true since the high school aspect was phased out after Turbo for a long while..And the Rangers were frequently around the college age.

Alyssa's Sensei 05/26/20 12:31 PM

And we did get Alyssa in college..

MMPR Supreme 05/26/20 12:33 PM

I think most MMPR fans wanted Tommy and Kim to be together. Kat isn't bad but she isn't Kimberly. She was barely in MMPR anyway. Zeo and Turbo weren't as good.

Gosei Gold 05/26/20 12:41 PM

I don't know...There are a lot of Tommy and Kat fans too. And a lot of fans that have moved on, who don't care about either.

I personally think Kat was one of the best characters they created in the early seasons.

KimandTommy 05/26/20 12:43 PM

She was a horrible character. But I admit of she would have been a good villain if they just embraced the fact she was one.

MMPR Forever 05/26/20 12:47 PM

I know, she was really a poor model for kids . She got to do mean to Kimberly and steal Kimberk's boyfriend. Not only did she get away with it all...She got to be a Power Ranger. She even took Kim's place on the team. Plus it was bad writing to have Kim be stupid enough to fall for this and give the coin to the person who wronged her. Kimberly was much smarter.then that.

KimandTommy 05/26/20 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMPR Forever (Post 77504)
I know, she was really a poor model for kids . She got to do mean to Kimberly and steal Kimberk's boyfriend. Not only did she get away with it all...She got to be a Power Ranger. She even took Kim's place on the team. Plus it was bad writing to have Kim be stupid enough to fall for this and give the coin to the person who wronged her. Kimberly was much smarter.then that.

I agree it was mostly bad writing. But Kimberly wasn't stupid. She was just fooled by the evil conniving Kat. It would have been fine if they paid that off...But they dropped that storyline after MMPR.

MMPR Forever 05/26/20 12:50 PM

Which is one of the reasons why I don't consider anything past MMPR canon. Ninja Steel might be an exception, but I consider that its own series.

MMPR Supreme 05/26/20 12:51 PM

I don't think we can go that far. Even though MMPR is clearly the best, the other seasons are all canon.

Pink With Evil 05/26/20 06:16 PM

She wasn't as annoying as Kimberly . But honestly she was kind of bland as a character. She was more interesting as Rita's spy. They tried to make her more interesting in Zeo but it doesn't never went anywhere. I will give her that scene in " Where is Zeo Ranger V". She didn't do much in Turbo. But to be fair none of the older Rangers did anything notable. Even Tommy felt bland . The second Turbo Cast was more interesting.

I also wasn't a fan how Kat took over Kimberly's role of fawning over Tommy. She just wasn't as annoying doing it..

No Green Spandex 05/26/20 06:19 PM

I surprised no one is talking about the elephant in the room. Kat spent weeks part time as Aishia's Cat...And its never brought up again.

Tommy Hater 05/26/20 06:20 PM

I always thought it was unrealistic how two nice young women like Kimberly and Kat would fall for a shallow jerk like Tommy.