Power Ranger Online Message Board

Power Ranger Online Message Board (powerrangersonline.com/index.php)
-   Power Rangers General Discussion (powerrangersonline.com/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Why did Power Rangers 2017 fail? (powerrangersonline.com/showthread.php?t=8861)

Green Alien Ranger 04/29/20 09:30 AM

Why did Power Rangers 2017 fail?

I really enjoyed the movie and thought it was gonna be the beginning of a successful film franchise. Why did it fail?

Inner Senshi 04/29/20 09:30 AM

Re: Why did Power Rangers 2017 fail?

Hasbro should really do a sequel. Maybe make it less scary.

Evil Astronema 04/29/20 09:34 AM

I enjoyed the movie too. I think it just stay struggled to find an audience.

Zabitan 04/29/20 01:12 PM

From folks I talked to who didn't like it a lot of it comes down to the following things.

Kim's sub plot where she took a picture of her friend, and shared it without her friend's consent, how it seems like she doesn't learn anything even though were supposed to feel like she's the real victim.

That it's progressive Billy's autistic but then they have him blow stuff up even if he doesn't mean to.

That Trini is supposed to be a lesbian or at least bisexual but it only comes up in a dialogue, and we never actually see it.

TLDR: A lot of folks just didn't like how it tried to be progressive but made the Rangers come across a bland or dumb at best, and jerks at worst.

PRangerX 04/30/20 11:23 AM

I really think they did a good with the characterizations. They should have given a more clear reason for Kimberly to feel like a victim though. Maybe have those girls did the same thing and Kim just took it to another level to get back at them?

I agree with the idea the movie struggled to find an audience. I think older people assumed it was for kids. But Parents thought it was too old for their children. It just never found its audience.

KimandTommy 04/30/20 11:33 AM

The new Kimberly was a disgrace. Zordon in the tv show would never let someone like that be a Ranger. She reminded me more of Kat.

No Green Spandex 04/30/20 11:35 AM

I didn't have a problem with her having to be redeemed for exposing her friend. She clearly was sorry about what she did and tried to be a better person. The character was fine. The problem was how they made the friends the clear cut bad guys, when one of them was the victim.

MMPR Guru 04/30/20 11:36 AM

I don't understand why they didn't get AJJ to play Rita?

Massive Ego 04/30/20 11:37 AM

The movie was awesome..It had a great story, characters, menacing villains. Its a crime it didn't do better at the box office.

Maverick Ranger 04/30/20 05:16 PM

It sounds petty, but I really think the designs turned people off. The Ranger Suits were bland and the Megazord looked awful. There also wasn't enough Ranger action.

No Green Spandex 05/01/20 10:32 PM

I think the movie needed a better ad campaign too.

Powermaster 05/04/20 05:18 PM

There just wasn't a big enough movie audience.

Lion Tamer Org 05/11/20 07:24 PM

It wasn't a very good movie and didn't feel like Power Rangers.

Dino Blaze 05/16/20 09:38 AM

It was too dark and not enough like the real MMPR. I still think a DinoThunder movie would have been better. The target audience would have a better chance of knowing what that was.

MattEmily 05/16/20 11:49 AM

I think the recent movie failed for two main reasons

Not enough action
and
some of the language and content was a bit much. Trini’s Mom for example basically implying that her daughter must be on drugs? It was a funny line but I do think that it was a bit much

Inner Senshi 05/16/20 11:51 AM

Agreed, too much serious issues for PR.

MMPR Mania 05/16/20 09:27 PM

Because it wasn't true to MMPR. Its one thing to have new actors in a reboot. But at least make it true to the source material. It just didn't have the fun of the original series. Rita was all wrong, but really every character was.

Goldar's Revenge 05/16/20 09:37 PM

The characters weren't likeable enough. The way Kimberly was written was awful. She exposes those girls on through text and they are the bad guys? It felt like a movie made by people ashamed of Power Rangers. Don't even get me started.about the zord and suit designs. Or the lack of Ranger action.

Cassie Zhane 05/17/20 09:34 AM

I think the movie was good. It just didn't attract an audience. Sometimes that just happens. You can't make lightening strike. Sometimes you just get clouds.

Piccolo Diamond 05/17/20 10:15 AM

re Why did the 2017 Power Rangers Movie Fail

The last movie shows us you can go too far and make Power Rangers too dark. They took all the fun out of the series and made it a mediocre teen drama. It just wasn't a true Power Rangers film and turned fans off. Outsiders weren't interested in seeing a drama about the Power Rangers pretending to be an emo version of the breakfast club.

Any new film has to be truer to the older series. I am not saying you can't be a little more mature. There just has to be a balance and the movie needs have some fun. And plewse no Krispy Kreme donuts.

Chaos Ranger 05/17/20 06:13 PM

Too much of an attempt to be like the breakfast club. I did like that Zordon was openly more sinister. It was a nice nod to his true dark side on the show.

DinoThunderKira 05/18/20 09:12 PM

They should have had Tommy mentor a new group of MMPR or DinoThunder Rangers.

Sailor Kitty 05/21/20 09:20 PM

Perhaps an animated movie?

Ginger Snap 05/22/20 09:15 PM

I wonder if there will ever be a new movie?

Ranger Hero 05/22/20 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ginger Snap (Post 77329)
I wonder if there will ever be a new movie?

If done right Power Rangers could be right up there with Star Wars and Marvel.

Piccolo Diamond 05/22/20 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ranger Hero (Post 77330)
If done right Power Rangers could be right up there with Star Wars and Marvel.

Look we know there is going to be another film. Hasbro wants to find a way to make that work. But reaching the level you are talking about isn't easy. You can't just put out any superhero movie and expect it to be successful. People are more picky and there is still a stigma with Power Rangers other brands don't seem to have. I am not sure if Power Rangers will ever get to the level of the franchises you mentioned.

XenaPrincess 05/22/20 09:18 PM

Voltron and She-Ra were popular. I think Power Rangers could be that successful if they did an animated film of that quality. Animated is easier then live action anyway.

Piccolo Diamond 05/22/20 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XenaPrincess (Post 77332)
The same audience who lost their shit over Voltron & She-Ra, would lose their shit over a well written animated MMPR if they get a quality team behind it.

Voltron and She-Ra are well written shows that pleased their adult fandoms. But are they really that popular with kids? Maybe some happened to see it on the parent's netflix accounts but I doubt many did. How well did the toys sell? Both shows were niche. Honestly, any PR movie would probably better off being a Netflix exclusive product. Since it Caters to a die hard niche as well.

I do like your idea to do an animated film. It does have a better chance of working.

Captain Codfish 05/22/20 09:41 PM

There will be another movie in some form. We know one is in pre-production. I don't think PR will be Star Wars or Marvel Film level.

Piccolo's Legacy 05/22/20 11:57 PM

I don't know how much better the reboot will do though. How many times can you reboot things over and over again? Especially when they didn't do well the last time.

Sensei's No Dude 05/23/20 12:05 AM

Not enough Power Rangers action. I want story but you got to have more Spandex in a PR movie. The origin story took way too long. But that tends to be a problem in origin films.