PDA

View Full Version : Would you watch an American or British Ultraman show?

Zabitan
02/12/13, 12:02 AM
I was on RangerBoard, and there was a thread about whether or not a "mature" Tokusatsu or Henshin Hero series would work on American TV.

Anyway that got me thinking about maybe not a "mature" show but I would like the see the BBC or the Syfy channel make an Ultraman show in the vein of either the X-Files or Torchwood since the idea behind Ultraman, and Ultra Q was Quatermass or The Outer Limits with giant monsters.

So what do you think.

TokuNoob
02/12/13, 06:58 PM
It could work, but I'm not a big fan of SyFy's visual style. I'd still tune in, of course, if for no other reason than to see what the show's like before it's cancelled.

Zabitan
02/12/13, 09:34 PM
I see what you mean. I just picked them because like I said my favorite part of Ultraman is that it's The X-Files if The Loch Ness monster turned out to be Godzilla.

And a lot of SyFy's shows are the X-Files take offs but I guess either ABC or NBC or Fox could work since they sometimes have shows like that.

That and as long as they use guys in rubber suits for Ultraman, and the monsters.

TokuNoob
02/18/13, 12:37 PM
Oh, definitely. They've done some nice creature suits here in the West. Even the aliens in The Watch were pretty well-realized.

I think that they could generate some interest in the Ultraman franchise if they used suits of that calibur. The cost would run pretty high, though. Maybe they could do the Ultraman Nexus thing and make the same monster subject of several episodes. It would reduce cost and break the monster of the week formula.

mbozzo
02/25/13, 07:50 PM
I would watch an American Ultraman show if it's done good and is shown in an American channel. :shock: :rolleyes:

Zabitan
05/04/13, 12:34 AM
Oh, definitely. They've done some nice creature suits here in the West. Even the aliens in The Watch were pretty well-realized.

I think that they could generate some interest in the Ultraman franchise if they used suits of that calibur. The cost would run pretty high, though. Maybe they could do the Ultraman Nexus thing and make the same monster subject of several episodes. It would reduce cost and break the monster of the week formula.

Hmm now that I think about it how about a miniseries ?

this may sound weird but I heard that back in 2002 SyFy wanted to make a 2 part 4 hour miniseries that was a sequel to John Carpnenter's The Thing perhaps they could bring that idea back but tone it down content wise, and have a monster similar to The Thing be the villain that Ultraman comes to Earth to fight ala Gudis from Towards The Future.

GSXT
05/23/13, 05:07 PM
saban adapt ultraman dyna series for his vortexx channel

Zabitan
06/28/13, 09:16 PM
I don't know last time I checked Saban only does Toei superheroes, and Ultraman is a Tsuburaya superhero.